What's new

How long in a Caddy/Otter?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Will smokes stay correctly humidified? Airtight seal, so should be quite some time right? So long as there is not a ton of opening and closing going on? The directions said that you might not even need to wet the humidifier if the cigars were properly humidified when put in? I still put a few drops of Distilled water in mine, but I'm just curious...What say you all?

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
The longest I have gone is three days and all was good.

The one time I added a couple drops of distilled water I was not happy. I had to let my sticks air out for awhile before they were smokeable.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
try to find a small humidipak from a fuente box. this will keep your cigars perfect for a long time.

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I use a Csonka case and have had no problems even with time periods as long as a week.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I need to know what to use for 12 days..... been told too many scary stories about using pg/h2o solutions to wanna go that way......

I wonder if I put some cedar that has been in the cabinet at home in the caddy, if that will help sustain the humidity enough for that period.. don't want to go with fluids of any sort.... :?:

DocK

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Will smokes stay correctly humidified? Airtight seal, so should be quite some time right? So long as there is not a ton of opening and closing going on? The directions said that you might not even need to wet the humidifier if the cigars were properly humidified when put in? I still put a few drops of Distilled water in mine, but I'm just curious...What say you all?
A friend had passed away earlier this year, and his otterbox caddy was left in his truck for a good 2 1/2 months. When I was helping his widow clear out his things, I found the Caddy, opened it up and checked the cigars. All the cigars were 100% perfect.... absolutely no problems at all!!

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I'm with DocK on this one...

I've left mine in there for a couple of weeks (forgot) and they have smoked great right out of the box and I have never put any PG or water or anything like that in mine. The seal is really just that good.

To hawkan.... I know your taking yours ocean fluffing or something like that... You'll be just fine.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've only had a cigar caddy for several weeks now but I use it constantly. I originally added just a few drops of distilled water and had no problems with it damaging the cigars. They still had the cello on them. I don't think I'll be adding water again since the airtightness of the box keeps the eixisting humidity from the cigars sealed in. I definitely wouldn't add water for un-cello'd cigars.
I did add a thin sheet of spanish cedar behind the foam (came from a JR 5-pack). I don't know that it helps much with the RH but it sure couldn't hurt. What it does do is make for a wonderful aroma when you crack the lid on that bad boy. :D

c10bonanza

Officially Clueless
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTT for an interesting thread. Interesting because I have purchased a 2 count Cigar Caddy (I know, I know, in hindsight I should have gone for the 5 count).

I want to take it on my honeymoon in a few weeks. How long will the sticks I take stay fresh? Am I at risk having them in there for 6-8 days?

Jerrick

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Just for a reference I added a couple of drops of PG solution to my 10 count before using it over a five day camping weekend. Before leaving I put the digital hygrometer in for a quick humidity check and it was at 64%. When I got back it was 62%. I'd say it worked pretty well, especially considering it was in the car most of the weekend.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have left sticks in my 5 count for months and they have been fine. I really dont like to add liquid but if i have to then I will try to the day before i plan on using the caddy.....

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
It also depends on how long the smokes have been stabilized in your humidor also. The more stable they are the more the otterbox will seal in that humidity.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
What Todd said. I've read multiple places that if your cigars are in a stable environment and have acclimated to them that they will stay in a cigar caddy, with no humdification for weeks with no problem.

C10, you should have absolutely no problem.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I got some of the Spanish cedar trays from Vern and keep them in my humidor so they stay at 65%. I've left smokes in my Cigar Caddy for over a month and had no problem the humidty was still 63%.

I wish Vern still made those trays

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I just wish they had a valve on the 15ct. Damn near cut my finger off trying to pry mine open with one of Todd's butter knifes :rofl: