What's new

how long will vacuum seal last?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought a couple of kits from Whole Leaf a couple of months ago. They came vacuum sealed as usual. I opened one kit and rolled a few. I decided to keep the other kit in the vacuum sealed bag until I needed it but my rolling has been sporadic lately so my question is, how long can I keep the leaves in the vacuum bags?

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I don’t have any experience with vacuum sealing tobacco, but I would think it would be the same as anything else. If done right the actual seal should last indefinitely. I’ve vacuum sealed plenty of meat, leftovers, money, medical / first aid kits, etc. l’ve never had an issue with the seal leaking or breaking. Now as far as how long the tobacco will be good inside the bag, like shelf life, I can’t attest to.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My concern is mold. I used to let my leaf dry out for long term storage but I was concerned about what that did to the leaf. Now I use a cooler for storage and try to keep the leaf just a bit flexible but I have had some issues with a bit of mold. The leaf in the vacuum bags is flexible (damp) so I wonder about the possibility of mold.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Mold also requires oxygen to grow. Any mold spores in the bag will go dormant until provided with the right conditions. I wouldn't think you would have an issue there as long as the bag maintains vacuum.

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Mold also requires oxygen to grow. Any mold spores in the bag will go dormant until provided with the right conditions. I wouldn't think you would have an issue there as long as the bag maintains vacuum.
I would tend to agree with this just based on the fact that that was how it was packaged prior to purchase. Idk if there’s any way of knowing how long it was packaged before you got it. The vacuum sealed bag probably actually keeps it from developing mold. Otherwise, the retailer would have to worry about the product molding before it was purchased. I may be completely incorrect on this. If so feel free to correct me, I’m not familiar with the retail side on the industry & what the product goes through prior to purchasing. But, I would think that it was pre packaged that way for a decent amount of time before it was purchased.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I know nothing whatever about the theory of O2 and botulism and such not chemistry. All's I know is, I've got gobs of WLT's sealed bags stashed here, & some are three or four years old. I never worry which one I open next. They're always just perfect.

LO bags on the other hand ... I've had some arrive damp and a bit of fuzz on the edges already.

So, all theory aside, I'm saying Don's bags last forever; but LO's bags you better use 'em up soon, or else store them inside old bags from WLT and tape 'em tight.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
if the environment is less than 65% or so mold should not be a problem.
I would also keep the temp below 65 degrees.
or you could dry the leaf down a bit and reseal it.
works for cigars,yes?