What's new

How much age is TOO much?

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kurtdesign1 said:
The two "easiest" ways to date pre-1985 Cuban boxes is the style of warranty code and more basicly is whether or not the stamp on the bottom says "Hecho en Cuba" or "Made in Havana", as id did pre-revolution.
Is "Made in Havana" pre-85?

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
sli38 said:
My personal tastes have changed over the last couple of years. I have developed a taste for aged havanas. Aged Havanas are just different and don't fit some peoples profile. I know many a brother with more experience than myself who prefer them with little age, 3to 5 years. Contrary to some peoples belief that Habanas will loose thier strength and become super mild is a falsehood. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but alot of Habanos will gain in strength as time passes. Ageing of fine habanos is measured in decades. Which ones will improve and which ones will not is a mystery. MRN says "cigars over 50 years old can develope a great boquet up to 4 times stronger. In short, when Havanas age they just become different. Which is better depends on personal preferences, And when it comes to personal preferences, they may change at any time"
IF aged properly. IF they have been left untouched, stored in optimal conditions and they happen to be quality sticks, then they have a chance of aging in this manner. SLB and SBN, and tubos, are superior to dress boxes for aging purposes. Holds the flavor in. Some people then counter, well what about the humidity then. That's a different animal altogether. IF they are stored properly, the humidity for the cigars will be fine in SLB etc. When you "break" a box, even a SLB, and remove some of the cigars, the air will circulate more and diminish the aging capabilities. If you are going for VERY long term, buy quality sticks, avoid dress boxes, and do not disturb.

Kevin

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
tubaman said:
IF aged properly. IF they have been left untouched, stored in optimal conditions and they happen to be quality sticks, then they have a chance of aging in this manner. SLB and SBN, and tubos, are superior to dress boxes for aging purposes. Holds the flavor in. Some people then counter, well what about the humidity then. That's a different animal altogether. IF they are stored properly, the humidity for the cigars will be fine in SLB etc. When you "break" a box, even a SLB, and remove some of the cigars, the air will circulate more and diminish the aging capabilities. If you are going for VERY long term, buy quality sticks, avoid dress boxes, and do not disturb.

Kevin

Very true! Thank god you can buy them aged already, or I could never do it....LOL