What's new

How old are my cigars?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would guess that you get pertanent info when you buy a box of cigars but what about bundles and 5 packs ( which is all I have experience with thus far). When buying online, how old should I expect them to be? I have not seen any info provided when I have purchased.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Sometimes the band can be an indicator of age, depending upon updates. It will give you a rough time period.

Dran

"That guy"
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
My thought on bundles, is treat them like they're freshly rolled, and probably still sick. Maybe not the best approach, but my reasoning is, if company XYZ sells cigars for $10+/ea, after they age/rest them through the sickness, but they're going to sell a value bundle of the same stick at >$3/ea, they're skipping a step somewhere. And since most 2nds/over runs etc are usually very comparable, my guess is in storage. Certainly nothing wrong with bundles, but if i buy them again, I would stick them in the darkest corner of my humidor and forget about em for a good long while.

squaresoft

It's dangerous to go alone, take this.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
unless you get something with an older band, or buy something that is specifically labelled as vintage (assuming its a purchase online for a 5er or sampler) then you should probably expect that what you bought is less than 1 year old. I doubt online retailers have stock that lasts very long with how much business they do.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
unless you get something with an older band, or buy something that is specifically labelled as vintage (assuming its a purchase online for a 5er or sampler) then you should probably expect that what you bought is less than 1 year old. I doubt online retailers have stock that lasts very long with how much business they do.
This is what I was thinking as well. Appreciate the input.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
" I doubt online retailers have stock that lasts very long with how much business they do."
the exception is Cigarbid.
I have gotten older stock many times.
If you find the cello going amber, you have an old cigar.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
What @Nacho Daddy said. (y)
Sometimes you will get older stock.

Not sure if this is what you're getting at @Smokin Devil But keep in mind, not all cigars necessarily improve with age. Many modern NC blends are made with well fermented and aged tobacco and may be best in the first year or so after production.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not sure if this is what you're getting at @Smokin Devil But keep in mind, not all cigars necessarily improve with age. Many modern NC blends are made with well fermented and aged tobacco and may be best in the first year or so after production.
Pretty much, yes. I gather that I should expect most cigars to be quite smokeable upon delivery. ( Which is good for me....not sure I would have the patience to let cigars age, especially if they already smoked well)

Rating - 100%
107   0   0

And because Nicaraguan tobacco is typically fully fermented it rarely goes through a sick period like Cubans. Or so I have heard...

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
And because Nicaraguan tobacco is typically fully fermented it rarely goes through a sick period like Cubans. Or so I have heard...
;)
Unless it gets too hot or wet somewhere along the line.
Or someone screws up somewhere along the line, such as the possible explanation for those hated EPC produced crowned heads Casa de Montecristo sticks.