What's new

How Old Were You

Klusterbuck

Corrupted At An Early Age
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
At what age did you start smoking a pipe?

Seriously, I only know one man who smokes a pipe in my area. He's 60, and smoked it as long as I can remember, I'm 33.

Maybe it's just me being me, but, I'm not sure I'd feel all that comfortable packing a pipe and smoking it in public.........

Silly, I know, if I want to, I should just do it, and forget what I think people may be thinking.....

Back to the original question though. How old were you? Did you feel like people were put off by it?

buck

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I tried it when I was in my Thirties, gave it up within a month. Just started this week again and am enjoying it much more than I did almost thirty years ago (you do the friggin math, I'd just get depressed) and personally I don't give a large rat's behind about what people think, as long as I'm legal.

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Smoked a pipe for a short time in the early 70's, but never really enjoyed it that much. I did not know anyone who smoked a pipe and kind of muddled my way through until I got frustrated and gave it up.

Fast forward more years than I care to count. . .(Like Ken, I am now getting depressed. . .:smokingco ) and I find this place. After reading all of the information in the pipe forum, getting beaucoup advice from Tedski and reading everything I could find on the Net, I decided to give it another try.

Now, I really enjoy a pipe. I tend to alternate for periods of time between cigars and pipes. There is something about a pipe that I find very pleasant and relaxing. It is quite different than a cigar, in terms of enjoyment. . .It is also very inexpensive, which suits me well given my thrifty nature. . .:hysterica

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I first started smoking pipes when I was 41 ... although I have a friend whos brother has been smoking pipes off and on since he was in high school. I generally smoke in my backyard, at the tobacco shop or while walking around outside the office buildings after lunch.

I'm not sure why you'd feel akward about smoking a pipe. (Well, maybe if you were smoking one of THESE) While they certainly aren't as commonplace today as 40 yrs ago, I find there are still quite a lot of pipe smokers on the net.

While it depends on which blend I'm smoking, I find some people actually enjoy pipe tobacco aroma. Of course then there are others who find it offensive even if I walk around with an unlit pipe.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
SMoked my first pipe when I was in my 20 in college. My Dad gave me his assortment of Dunhills and I bought a few. Gave it up when the kids came along. Now its on again off again. I pick up a new pipe, smoke for a few weeks then put it on the rack.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think I'll pick up a pipe tomorrow and send in an order to Gatlinburlier. My bro had some tobacco from there that smelled quite nice. Bout time I give the pipe a go.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Tried it at the age of 37. Lasted about 3 months before retiring the hobby.

I'm sure I will revisit it someday.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tired it at 33 and occasionally still enjoy a pipe especially when in Holland or Belgium and get some lovely mixtures including a great whisky one. I always enjoy it more at home, but that's true also for cigars as well, both give me that tranquil feeling so not really bothered about having other people around anyway.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I bought my first pipe at 17. The saleslady thought I wanted it to smoke pot. Didn't smoke my first real cigar until a couple of years later. Loved the smell of the tobacco, the comfortable feeling it gave me and the way it made me look so sophisticated (or so I thought).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think I'll pick up a pipe tomorrow and send in an order to Gatlinburlier. My bro had some tobacco from there that smelled quite nice. Bout time I give the pipe a go.
Picked up a Dr. Grabow pipe today and some Cherry Cavendish tobacco. Gonna light it up once the thunder storm clears.:glassesgr

Flare88

n00b
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im 19 and my girlfriend just bought me my first pipe for my birthday. I'm in the process of breaking it in with an english mix. Anybody have suggestions on english mix?

WalterLars

Walter Lars
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started when I was in basic training stopped in AIT then again when I got home a year or so later and transfered up to Camp Roberts working full time for the Calif National Guard picked up smoking cigars in my late 40's and the pipe about the same time
My father smoked pipes and a cigar once in a while so I have been around it all My life
I see some of the old brands and it takes back to slimpler time
I just won a nimrod lighter from eBay just like My Dad had
maybe once it gets here I will have to buy some Sir Walter Raleigh and have a time trip

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started smoking a pipe when i was 19. I enjoyed my cheap cigars better though so i mostly smoked things like swishers, backwoods, phillies, tampa,ect. I found out a few years later that the reason i didnt enjoy my first pipe so much was that it smoked like crap. Since then I've gotten into better and more expensive cigars but, i still pick up my pipe from time to time, especially if money is tight.