What's new

How to bring back over humidified stogies?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Got a pair of cigars at a B&M yesterday. Felt squishier than usual. The box is close to their humidification device.

Decided to put them on their own tupperware with my hygrometer. The rh shown this morning was 85 !!!

So I placed non humid KL in the tupper for today and will see from there.

Will such a cigar get back to normal? Or should I just use it as humidification in bombs?

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
First off, 85% is not that bad, I would look to see if there is any mold on it, if so, then pitch it. If not, put it in with the rest of your sticks with your current humidification system. Don't touch it for 2+ weeks to let the humidification leveled out.

Honestly, i wouldn't worry... There are some folks that prefer to smoke at 85% Not I, but some folks...

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
First off, 85% is not that bad, I would look to see if there is any mold on it, if so, then pitch it. If not, put it in with the rest of your sticks with your current humidification system. Don't touch it for 2+ weeks to let the humidification leveled out.

Honestly, i wouldn't worry... There are some folks that prefer to smoke at 85% Not I, but some folks...
Its not more bad than that? That's good to know.
I checked already when I bought them, no mold or plume.

Thanks.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
just let them get to the RH you prefer slowly...

as a general rule.. anything I buy online or at a B&M gets put in the cabinet and left alone for at least 2 weeks..

Most stuff gets put in there for a minimum of a month or two (I have a bad habit of buying stuff.. throwing it in the cabinet.. and forgetting about it.. Or I just end up smoking other stuff before I get around to it)...

It will take a little time.. but your sticks should be fine.. just give them some time in a proper environment..

It is far better to take an overhumidifed stick and bring it back down... than it is to try to breathe life back into one that has been severely dried out..

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It is far better to take an overhumidifed stick and bring it back down... than it is to try to breathe life back into one that has been severely dried out..
I've tried the latter without much success, which was what scared me about the former. Thanks for the encouragements

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I agree completely with mdwest. Just throw them in your humidor and forget about them for a little while. Most say that you can expect them to adjust 1% per week. Given the high differential, I'd expect yours to lose more than 1% rh a week for the first couple weeks.

I would give yours at least 6 weeks in a humidor.

Good luck!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Look at the bright side...

All that extra RH.. will get distributed throughout your humidor over time....

Like having a little brown, round boveda in there for the next couple of weeks :D

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried that. Initialy.

But the big tupperdore with two stogies went all the way up to 80-something rh
you don't dry box smokes in a tupperdor. you should only dry box in a wooden cigar box. a tupperdor is air tight hence where would the excess RH from the sticks go?