What's new

How to select stem replacement and where to get it?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
If we have an OK but cheap pipe that the stem broke, can it be replaced cheaply?
The pipe is really a cheapy starter pipe, but the plastic stem seems to have disliked hot smoke after being in freezing temp in the car for a while. Its back in place with crazy glue, but this dog's not crazy about smoking glue residue and would like the stem changed. They don't carry stems at the B&Ms here.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
They have no mention of the tenon's outter diameter. I believe there are quite a few "standard" diameters.
The one I want to change seems to have tenon ID 6mm, OD 8mm and stem OD 14mm.
that's a tenon outside diameter of 5/16 inch and the stem originally is 9/16 inch outside diameter.

it had a filter, or a metal insert of some sort. is this thing even useful?

I see they claim
All our stems have standard tenons and DO NOT accept the 6mm Filter
so I am a bit worried about sizing...

Also, to be honest, I find the price a bit steep, considering the cheapish nature of the pipe itself.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
If the pipe is that cheap, maybe replace it with a Dr. Grabow or something at the same price point, clean up this broken pipe and keep it as a memento/memory.

Or pick up three or four cobs for the same price.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
<snip> …Also, to be honest, I find the price a bit steep, considering the cheapish nature of the pipe itself.
They are a bit pricey if it's a cheap pipe that you don't have much attachment to. I like their churchwarden stem and keep thinking I'd like to get one for one of my freehand models. But, yeah, if it's a cheap pipe, you'd really need to like the way it smokes or have some sentimental attachment to it.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Forever Stems are created as a direct replacement for Missouri Meerschaum cob pipes, so those are the standards and sizes they refer to.
You are going to be hard pressed to find a replacement for a briar pipe unless it's a production run of something like a military mount where the shank and the stem do not meet flush with the same diameter, and even then it's going to be a special request to the company in most cases. Most pipes are never carved completely round and true, and this will be evident if you rotate the stem 180 degrees. Chances are when you do that you will no longer see a smooth flush joint.
If the pipe has sentimental value, your best bet would be approaching a budding new pipe maker to create something custom for you at a cheap rate just for the experience. (and understand, it might not work out) Any of the pros will likely charge you more than what a brand new Sav, Nord, or Petey would cost you.
If there's no sentimental value, then like others said above, chuck it. Buy a Dr. G. or a few cobs.
Also, to be honest, I find the price a bit steep, considering the cheapish nature of the pipe itself.
Back to the Forever Stems. Like I said earlier, they are made for cobs. A $24 stem on an $8 pipe! How's that for "steep, considering the cheapish nature of the pipe"?!
Don't be fooled, though. I own two. I don't regret the purchase, and will likely add a few more down the road. They completely change the corn cob pipe smoking experience, plus, when you burn out a cob you just move the stem to a new one. Consider it a lifetime investment!

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
What is the tenon outer diameter for those corn cobs? even if its a lifetime investment, if it doesn't fit its not a good investment ;)
A lifetime investment for cobs.
Your pipe might be a different story. Can you take a picture?
I'll take some measurements for you when I get home tonight, unless someone else has one handy and can jump on this...
(It never hurts to have a cob or two in the arsenal, though. Just sayin', you might want to consider it...)

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
There is something wrong with the concept of "cheap" tobacco products in Canada. It seems to be frown upon or something. I found corn cobs only in one B&M, and it was not a good design or implementation; the bowl was pierced.

I got a pair of cheap small bowls for trial, then we got this middle-end chinese wood pipe. Its actually not too bad, way better than the other ones. I'd hate to put it to recycling. I understand more pipes is better, no?

A lifetime investment for cobs.
Your pipe might be a different story. Can you take a picture?
I'll take some measurements for you when I get home tonight, unless someone else has one handy and can jump on this...
(It never hurts to have a cob or two in the arsenal, though. Just sayin', you might want to consider it...)
I'll try to post some pics tonight

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
@herfdog,
Completely off the subject of your broken stem, but on topic with cobs and high costs in the north country...
Buy these: http://corncobpipe.com/10-pipe-grab-bag-of-smokable-seconds.html
I don't know where you are in Canada, but I put in Edmonton just as a test. Even with the ridiculous shipping it comes out to $4.30/pipe.
At that price, keep them all yourself. Otherwise, if there's a buddy or two you can split it with, all the better.
You're not going to find a better smoking value for the dollar. Plus, you'll save enough to justify investing in one of those "Forever Stems" :cool:
Capture.JPG

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Here are some pics of the pipe, with and without the crazyglued-back-together stem.

I tried to find online anywhere sizing documentation on the missouris meerschaum stems' tenon, but it does not seem to be documented. It is said however that there is two different sizes, for filtrées and non-filtered.

Is the filter really useful?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sorry about your broken stem. With a pipe like that out is as stated before most times just tossed out. In fact keeping a pipe is something started after pipe cleaners were invented. Eariler pipe smokers would smoke a pipe until out wasn't smokeable anymore, either filed with cake or the pipe clogged by the smoking. Sadly when a cheap pipe comes into play it's best to replace it by another pipe. Could be better our less quality. I have a pipe that was broke in 1/3 glued and enjoy smoking to this day. It's very old so yeah not one to toss, or I would have.

James