What's new

How to take apart Cigar Oasis XL Plus

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
After several years, the foam in my Cigar Oasis XL plus is showing a couple spots of mold. Has anyone successfully pried the plastic case open and just replaced the foam? I'm trying to insert a screwdriver into the seam, but I'm just chewing up the plastic.

If it turns out to be impossible to do, I'll just order a new cartridge. I just thought this would be faster and cheaper.

Thanks,
Keith

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
To do this you just have to pry it open with a knife. I've done it to mine and use Super Absorbat Polymers. This has worked well for years and if/when they mold I throw them away and replace them.

If you have the one with the bigger opening you can just cut it out, scrape the left overs and add the polmers.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
cf2112,

I don't know why my cartridge is different than yours, but mine is glued. Prying with a knife, screwdriver, and putty knife all had the same result: chewed up plastic and a still-sealed cartridge. The silver lining is now the cartridge looks similar to my box of Tat Faces :laugh:

I do have the XL Plus, which has the large opening, so I can cut the foam out and replace with polymers.

What do you recommend for polymers, and where can i get them?

Thanks,
Keith

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
i've used a chop stick and running water. just keep poking and flushing... all comes out! i then put some absorbing crystals in it,,, added distilled water, and wha-la!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An x-acto knife and a lot of patience. The cartridge pices overlap at the seam, so you have to run the blade flat between the lips of the upper and lower pieces. It'll take quite a number of passes before you will slice through all the glue. Or, as mentioned already, if the openings are large enough, you can chip and wash the foam out through the holes.

Besides watersorb, I've heard good things about the LiquiBlock 42K polymers from:
http://www.creativechemistry.com/solpolprods.cfm

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, guys. I think I'll just use the chopstick or knife method, and chip away at the foam until it's empty, then put it polymers.

The only reason I wanted to open the cartridge in the first place was to put a new foam block in, but if polymers work better, than no need to open the cartridge!

Keith

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I know mine was a bear to try to take apart. I just ended up ordering another. Now I don't even use it, I just use the top fan part.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
isn't a new cartridge like 11 bux?

I'd rather spend 11 bux than an hour prying at that damn thing!! It's damn near impossible to open, and you have to actually cut it open, and then glue it shut.
Pain in the arse!!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
isn't a new cartridge like 11 bux?

I'd rather spend 11 bux than an hour prying at that damn thing!! It's damn near impossible to open, and you have to actually cut it open, and then glue it shut.
Pain in the arse!!
With shipping, $14.90. Yes, a pain in the arse, but as a unabashed pack-rat, I can't bring myself to tossing the old cartridge, even if I buy a new one. :stickbeat So, I'll dig the old foam out, and put some polymers in...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cigar Oasis XL Plus and CO recommends that you change out the foam about every 2-3 months...is this too much? I thought paying $15 for the foam cartridge, they would go for a bit longer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys,
I have had my cigar oasis XL plus for 5 months and when i pulled it out to check on it about a week ago i noticed some mold. Has any one else had this problem that soon?