What's new

how to un-tighten a mold

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Scored this beauty at an antique shop today for a mere thirty bucks:

Looks to be in excellent shape.
Nice shape: a tapering perfecto with a broad foot. I like it.

Here's the only problem:

Won't quite squeeze shut. Almost; not quite. Tight tight tight.
The antique feller assures me it fit together when he put it in the case. I believe him. No idea what could have swelled it tight. Doesn't seem to be tight just one place... but all along. So I took a flier.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Anyone ever had it happen?

Attachments

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Scored this beauty at an antique shop today for a mere thirty bucks:
View attachment 158141

Looks to be in excellent shape.
Nice shape: a tapering perfecto with a broad foot. I like it.

Here's the only problem:
View attachment 158142

Won't quite squeeze shut. Almost; not quite. Tight tight tight.
The antique feller assures me it fit together when he put it in the case. I believe him. No idea what could have swelled it tight. Doesn't seem to be tight just one place... but all along. So I took a flier.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Anyone ever had it happen?
Nice shape. Too bad about the fit.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Looks like moisture. It could have warped just a touch. I’d have to look at it with my own eyes to see what’s going on

it may be possible to get it working again with a small rasp

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Water damage is obvious from the staining. At least it looks like water stains in the photo. It might just be a weird grain. When water leaves a stain it means it was exposed for a significant time and warping is inevitable. You can see warping on the right hand side where the two flat surfaces are supposed to meet. There is warping throughout I'm sure. This may be difficult to fix but I would suggest hand sanding the parts that seem to need it with about 80 grit paper until it goes together. The end result may be a mold that is not perfectly tight anymore but it should still work if you rotate the sticks in the mold.
Well worth the 30 bucks.