206   0   0
Size: 7" x 47
Shape: Churchill
Wrapper: Cuba
Binder: Cuba
Filler: Cuba
Date Code: Apr 2001
Retail price: $9 - $11

I bought ½ box of these last month at a “no way am I going to pass this deal up” price … so I decided to give one a spin on Saturday as the weather was just awesome (sunny, clear + 77F).

Pre-light: Wrapper is a light brown color with some small veins and a dull, matte finish. The cigar overall is firm, but somewhat light weight for its size. It has a slightly woody + musty aroma. The band is also very loose … a sure sign of some nice age.

First 1/3: The first few puffs were quite mild, but with good flavors of wood, slightly sweet tobacco, a touch of leather, and savory spices. After warming up a bit the strength + body moved into the mild-medium range. Draw was excellent with just slight resistance. Burn was mostly even and the ash a mottled black + grey.

Second 1/3: The core flavors of wood, tobacco, and mild spices continue, with occasional hints of black tea. The smoke is very creamy, both in texture and taste. Burn is still pretty even – with occasional oddities correcting themselves. The ash also became flowery at times, but always held on for over an inch. The strength remains mild-medium, but the body is a solid medium.

Last 1/3: The strength, body + flavors are mostly the same, with the black tea now replaced by hints of cinnamon coffee. In the transition between the last third and this one, the strength and body both kicked up significantly, but only for about 5 minutes. Perhaps this was a small section of ligero, but it certainly grabbed my attention. Had a nice buzz going but then it settled back down again. I finally put this soldier to rest just past the band point. Total smoke time = about 90 min.

Overall: A very good, relaxing cigar with excellent flavors. I’m glad I bought these.