Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2
Origin: Cuba
Size: Robusto
Length: 4.875
Gauge: 50
Box code: Unknown, but marked '04

This is another superbly made Robusto, gifted from a fine BOTL. The wrapper was a light chocolate color with very small veins and beautifully finished in every way. This cigar had an incredible pre-light aroma. I probably sat around for five minutes just savoring the rich smell of this cigar. I decided to mix up a fresh cup of late afternoon coffee and get down to business.

I cut the beautiful triple cap and found the pre-light draw to be absolutely perfect. Toasting the foot generated the usual great aromas. This vitola put out gobs of smoke from the initial lighting. It was spicy, complex and medium-bodied from the first puff. The first inch gives what I would call a pronounced fruity flavor that literally made my mouth water. It then settles down to an ever changing earthy smoke. The Epicure had a long strong finish with a great kick at the end. The aftertaste from this cigar was also quite remarkable, leaving the palate tasting clean, but with just a hint of the wonderful taste from all the rich smoke.

My only complaint about the #2 was the burn. I had to correct one side at least half a dozen times as the cone burned off center. Other than the burn, I found this to be an exceptional vitola and one of the best Robustos I have smoked. I found it to be quite powerful, especially with the finishing kick. These are highly recommended and will soon grace my humidor. It will be pleasant indeed to alternate these with my favorite PSD4.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
Thanks for the great review!

I think we need to send Fox more cigars to review for us! :lookaroun :wink:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
smoked one on saterday, Fantasic smoke. one of my favorites and bound to improve with some age.

-Ryan

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
jcgoldner said:
Thanks for the great review!

I think we need to send Fox more cigars to review for us! :lookaroun :wink:
I would be more than happy to take on this most unpleasant of tasks. :wink:

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
THis is one cuban brand that I'm not sure if I love them or not. MUST SMOKE MORE!!!!!!!!! But, from the review, sounds good!!!!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Glad to see you back Mike :thumbsup: Congrats on the baby and may'be you can start posting more when you get more settled in.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
MU Mike said:
Thanks fellas. Haven't been around much this past year: moved, new baby girl, new job, new house...and I'm still standin'. :cool:
Congrats on all that! Hope you had time for a cigar or two!