What's new

Humidification monitoring (La Crosse vs. Ambient Weather)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I don't why I do this stuff to myself but I have been experimenting with a couple monitoring systems and thought Id put my impressions down for anyone else that is looking into these types of systems.

Ambient Weather WS-X2-KIT
Ive had the Ambient Weather systems WS-X2-KIT Big Digital 8-Channel Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer with Two Remote Sensors systems* for quit a while (http://www.ambientweather.com/amws07x2kit.html).
* A "system" consists of the remote sensor (F007TH) and monitor (WS-07) which in itself is a sensor.
It was cheap at a little over $30 for a single remote sensor system up to about $80 for all eight remote sensors (cheaper on Amazon). The screen is big and LCD based so easy to read even in sunlight but not so easy to read in the dark. They do make back lit systems and have plenty of options but for the sake of what I have experience with Im sticking to the one WS-07 based system. The screen shows you a sad face when your RH gets over 65% (its built in) which is funny because I look for the sad face to make me smile. If I see the happy face I get sad..LOL. Its also has arrows to show if your change is up, down or if its holding steady.
There are three hard buttons on the WS-07:
MIN/MAX which allows you to view the min/max as it holds it in memory (Ive never used that feature).
CLEAR which allows you to clear the MIN/MAX or any of your manually adjusted settings.
CHANNEL which allows you to scroll through sensors or set it on a loop that scrolls automatically.

The sensor is just small enough to fit into a Boveda calibration bag which is convenient since this is what I wanted to use to calibrate the system.
Once its up and running all you need to do is look at that big screen to see whats happening in your storage. Mine sets on the side table in the living room so I can look over at it as often as I want.

I used to only have both sensors in one wineador but when I added the second one I put one in each. The second is in my garage downstairs and it has had no connectivity issues (except when the batteries start to go low). They say its good for 300 feet inline sight and 100 without.
Its been accurate with a -2/-3 % in RH whiche sensor is just small enough to fit into a Boveda calibration bag which is convenient since this is what I wanted to use to calibrate the system.

Pros:
Its cheap
Big screen for easy viewing
Adjustability to compensate for calibration
Up to 8 sensors
Easy to use and reliable
Does not seem to be overly sensitive to being put into a shelf surrounded by cigars (though I would be cautious about blocking the sensor vents where it takes its reading)
Cons:
Not using lithium batteries means you will swap batteries often (four in WS-07, two in each sensor)
Sad face is annoying at times
I can't monitor it remotely form my phone
For some reason mine always has a sensor #5 (that does not exist) showing up so I have to scroll past it

La Crosse Alerts 926-25100-WGB Wireless Monitor System with Temperature & Humidity
I got this system a couple months ago because I really wanted a system that I could monitor from anywhere. I came home form a trip and found that my RH had dropped and I had no idea how long it had been like that. considering the small wineador holds a couple hundred sticks that was enough to scare me into finally purchasing this system. Now if I saw a drastic change I could try and get my wife to do something about it for me... right!
La Crosse offers a wide variety of systems that you can order in any configuration such as sensors with probes without probes and a handful of different types of sensors. I went with the 926-25100 system*.
* A system consisted of the Gateway and at least one sensor (I got two sensors - TX60) plus basic cables to get it all connected.
Its not cheap at a little over $96 to start with one sensor and gateway and additional sensor costing $65 or higher if you want external probes. You can get it cheaper on Amazon which is what I did.

** above picture is accurate of what the app interface looks like**

Once connected you need to add the sensors to the system via the app or webpage login and a series of button presses and waiting for the items to link. Once linked the status of the sensors can be viewed via the app (does not look the same as the website shows, in most pictures, after an update was done) or via the weblogin. You can set min/max ranges and receive text, email, both or no alerts from the system. Since I use the app I have to say it easy to read day or night.

The La Crosse sensors are longer than the AW system but not as wide and also have vents that the sensor uses to get its information so don't block them. The sensors seems to be less sensitive that the AW system. Meaning if they don't have good airflow around them they send low readings. I may try to open up the vents on the sensors to see how this effects them.
These sensors were accurate to about 2-3% and are not adjustable anywhere. They do not fit into Boveda calibration bags but luckily I had some zip lock bags that Boveda used to ship their stuff that I was able to use and feel comfortable doing so*.
* Boveda calibration bags are thick plastic unlike the zip lock bags we use. The thicker plastic is essential for accuracy in that it doesn't allow RH to escape easily like a basic zip lock sandwich bag would. I digress...
Once calibrated I found one sensor to be -2% and the other to be -3%. I labeled each one in case I ever forgot.
Range on the system is listed as 200 feet and it has had some minor issues with the garage until not sending information at times.

*the +1 is to show you are only adding one to the cart, pic taken form website.

Operability of the app is easy once you get used to it. Settign a min max alert, how often you want the sensor to check in and you can see it in a list form or a graph. If you are OCD about your temp and RH don't use the graph. Here are some screen shots of mine:

I have it set to check in every 5 minutes for now and I do not have any alerts set up.

Pros:
Remote monitoring 24/7 (unless a sensor doesn't report in which does happen on occasion)
Setting alerts if you want
Data gathering
Sensor interval adjustment
Sensor labeling within app or web interface
You can add a wet sensor probe if you are concerned with condensation build up or add one to your water heater (Its my intention to do so if I keep this system)
Cons:
Expensive
Inability to adjust for RH difference
Sensors are less sensitive than cheaper systems
Too much information at times (in reference to graphs and lists) will mess with your head if you are slightly OCD
Expensive

FYI: I have had Caliber IV hygrometers next to each sensor as secondary RH reading in all cases. I did this because I trust my caliber IVs and each was calibrated with each of the above sensors (i.e. Caliber IV and AW or Caliber IV and La Crosse) then placed in the wineador next to each sensor so as not to block any vents on any units.

Final comments:
We have a lot of options out there for similar systems but very few offer remote monitoring. Even less offer remote adjustability but one does and it is the Cigar Oasis system (not tested or owned by myself). We also all have our own levels of OCD when it comes to things like this. Its up to each of us to decide how much visibility we want to our systems. a Standard hygrometer mount to the front of a wineador drawer is not accurate. Placing that Hygro in the drawer is accurate but then it can't be seen. Some of us are fine with not knowing and just smoking (I applaud you!) and some uf us have this inherent need to now and even worse need to know at all times (thats me).
I know it sounds silly but for now Im keeping all three. They all work and do a good job. Not one system has been the perfect solution for me BUT if I had to chose just one it would be the AW system because its most accurate to my hygros and gives me visibility most of the time.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up. I've had the ambient weather ws-08-x4 for about 3 months now and I love it. I have 3 sensors in my wineador and one in my cooler. It works great for me.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I have an older lacrosse one with 3 sensors. It's seven degrees off but it's always off.

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I don't why I do this stuff to myself but I have been experimenting with a couple monitoring systems and thought Id put my impressions down for anyone else that is looking into these types of systems.

Ambient Weather WS-X2-KIT
Ive had the Ambient Weather systems WS-X2-KIT Big Digital 8-Channel Wireless Thermo-Hygrometer with Two Remote Sensors systems* for quit a while (http://www.ambientweather.com/amws07x2kit.html).
* A "system" consists of the remote sensor (F007TH) and monitor (WS-07) which in itself is a sensor.
It was cheap at a little over $30 for a single remote sensor system up to about $80 for all eight remote sensors (cheaper on Amazon). The screen is big and LCD based so easy to read even in sunlight but not so easy to read in the dark. They do make back lit systems and have plenty of options but for the sake of what I have experience with Im sticking to the one WS-07 based system. The screen shows you a sad face when your RH gets over 65% (its built in) which is funny because I look for the sad face to make me smile. If I see the happy face I get sad..LOL. Its also has arrows to show if your change is up, down or if its holding steady.
There are three hard buttons on the WS-07:
MIN/MAX which allows you to view the min/max as it holds it in memory (Ive never used that feature).
CLEAR which allows you to clear the MIN/MAX or any of your manually adjusted settings.
CHANNEL which allows you to scroll through sensors or set it on a loop that scrolls automatically.

The sensor is just small enough to fit into a Boveda calibration bag which is convenient since this is what I wanted to use to calibrate the system.
Once its up and running all you need to do is look at that big screen to see whats happening in your storage. Mine sets on the side table in the living room so I can look over at it as often as I want.

I used to only have both sensors in one wineador but when I added the second one I put one in each. The second is in my garage downstairs and it has had no connectivity issues (except when the batteries start to go low). They say its good for 300 feet inline sight and 100 without.
Its been accurate with a -2/-3 % in RH whiche sensor is just small enough to fit into a Boveda calibration bag which is convenient since this is what I wanted to use to calibrate the system.

Pros:
Its cheap
Big screen for easy viewing
Adjustability to compensate for calibration
Up to 8 sensors
Easy to use and reliable
Does not seem to be overly sensitive to being put into a shelf surrounded by cigars (though I would be cautious about blocking the sensor vents where it takes its reading)
Cons:
Not using lithium batteries means you will swap batteries often (four in WS-07, two in each sensor)
Sad face is annoying at times
I can't monitor it remotely form my phone
For some reason mine always has a sensor #5 (that does not exist) showing up so I have to scroll past it

La Crosse Alerts 926-25100-WGB Wireless Monitor System with Temperature & Humidity
I got this system a couple months ago because I really wanted a system that I could monitor from anywhere. I came home form a trip and found that my RH had dropped and I had no idea how long it had been like that. considering the small wineador holds a couple hundred sticks that was enough to scare me into finally purchasing this system. Now if I saw a drastic change I could try and get my wife to do something about it for me... right!
La Crosse offers a wide variety of systems that you can order in any configuration such as sensors with probes without probes and a handful of different types of sensors. I went with the 926-25100 system*.
* A system consisted of the Gateway and at least one sensor (I got two sensors - TX60) plus basic cables to get it all connected.
Its not cheap at a little over $96 to start with one sensor and gateway and additional sensor costing $65 or higher if you want external probes. You can get it cheaper on Amazon which is what I did.

** above picture is accurate of what the app interface looks like**

Once connected you need to add the sensors to the system via the app or webpage login and a series of button presses and waiting for the items to link. Once linked the status of the sensors can be viewed via the app (does not look the same as the website shows, in most pictures, after an update was done) or via the weblogin. You can set min/max ranges and receive text, email, both or no alerts from the system. Since I use the app I have to say it easy to read day or night.

The La Crosse sensors are longer than the AW system but not as wide and also have vents that the sensor uses to get its information so don't block them. The sensors seems to be less sensitive that the AW system. Meaning if they don't have good airflow around them they send low readings. I may try to open up the vents on the sensors to see how this effects them.
These sensors were accurate to about 2-3% and are not adjustable anywhere. They do not fit into Boveda calibration bags but luckily I had some zip lock bags that Boveda used to ship their stuff that I was able to use and feel comfortable doing so*.
* Boveda calibration bags are thick plastic unlike the zip lock bags we use. The thicker plastic is essential for accuracy in that it doesn't allow RH to escape easily like a basic zip lock sandwich bag would. I digress...
Once calibrated I found one sensor to be -2% and the other to be -3%. I labeled each one in case I ever forgot.
Range on the system is listed as 200 feet and it has had some minor issues with the garage until not sending information at times.

*the +1 is to show you are only adding one to the cart, pic taken form website.

Operability of the app is easy once you get used to it. Settign a min max alert, how often you want the sensor to check in and you can see it in a list form or a graph. If you are OCD about your temp and RH don't use the graph. Here are some screen shots of mine:

I have it set to check in every 5 minutes for now and I do not have any alerts set up.

Pros:
Remote monitoring 24/7 (unless a sensor doesn't report in which does happen on occasion)
Setting alerts if you want
Data gathering
Sensor interval adjustment
Sensor labeling within app or web interface
You can add a wet sensor probe if you are concerned with condensation build up or add one to your water heater (Its my intention to do so if I keep this system)
Cons:
Expensive
Inability to adjust for RH difference
Sensors are less sensitive than cheaper systems
Too much information at times (in reference to graphs and lists) will mess with your head if you are slightly OCD
Expensive

FYI: I have had Caliber IV hygrometers next to each sensor as secondary RH reading in all cases. I did this because I trust my caliber IVs and each was calibrated with each of the above sensors (i.e. Caliber IV and AW or Caliber IV and La Crosse) then placed in the wineador next to each sensor so as not to block any vents on any units.

Final comments:
We have a lot of options out there for similar systems but very few offer remote monitoring. Even less offer remote adjustability but one does and it is the Cigar Oasis system (not tested or owned by myself). We also all have our own levels of OCD when it comes to things like this. Its up to each of us to decide how much visibility we want to our systems. a Standard hygrometer mount to the front of a wineador drawer is not accurate. Placing that Hygro in the drawer is accurate but then it can't be seen. Some of us are fine with not knowing and just smoking (I applaud you!) and some uf us have this inherent need to now and even worse need to know at all times (thats me).
I know it sounds silly but for now Im keeping all three. They all work and do a good job. Not one system has been the perfect solution for me BUT if I had to chose just one it would be the AW system because its most accurate to my hygros and gives me visibility most of the time.
I thought I would do a long term update on these...

The Ambient Weather kit started giving me problems about six months ago so I dumped it. One sensor went completely south on me and the main unit started glitching and burning through batteries. I liked the remote monitoring option from the Lacrosse system anyway.

The Lacrosse system has not been without issue. We had a power outage that was extensive (a few hours) and when power was restored I needed to re-pair the sensors. Long story short I had to reset everything and start from scratch.
Then a few month later there was a power surge that resulted in an issue with my network. After hours of troubleshooting I ended up learning that the gateway and another device on my network had reset to the same IP address. For those non-tech folk this is like a head on collision. Shit gets fucked up!!!!
Recently my router died so I had to replace it. In the time it took for me to get new one the system needed to be reset again and re-paired again.
Its a more of a hassle than anything else and I still like it but I wish the accuracy of the hygrometers could be adjusted like the Weather station kit.

Next up... the Boveda smart sensor system.