What's new

Humidimeter range

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I bought myself a Humidimeter for my birthday. I'm wondering two thing:

1) What's the range that it will measure? I don't find that in the docs nor on the web. When I asked the merchant what range it will measure, a gal quickly responded that it measures 70% +- 2. No... that's your claimed accuracy. I don't think she a) knows, nor b) understands the concept of range. Anyone here know how high it will read & how low?

2) How the heck do you measure any single leaf? A leaf being such a skinny thing, what, do you stick the probes in the center stem & that's the best that you can do?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1) You find what the range that it will measure.

2) A sample of measure between the probes. Yes. the electrical resistance to measure the presence or absence of water. It will very over all.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I have never seen that doodad, so an unable to help answer your questions. I am curious why you need to check Rh on a tobacco leaf?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I love that thing. I gauge er stick with it before I smoke it. Saved me from thinking good blends were shit.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I stuck the probes in my mug of my lemonade and got 80%.
I stuck the probes in the ring of condensation which my mug of lemonade sweated onto the desk and got 96%.

I stuck the probes in a 3x5 index card and got 37%.
I stuck the probes into my palm and got 73% and a booboo.

I stuck the probes into my rolling block and got 0%.
I stuck the probes into a gar in my humidor and got 65% and a leaky gar.

OK. Now I gotta run to BJs for groceries. Later.

Reactions: nic
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard somewhere that you can stab the vein of the leaf to get an idea.
I think it’s more of a figure out what works for you. As you do your thing use it as a guideline to help.
I like it mostly for sticks so I know if they are ok or not to smoke. It should help make sure your sticks are ready.

I found my recharged Boveda packs were over humidifying. (They say not to do that). My sticks started burning poorly so I put my hygrometer in there and it was up around 73%. I had found a deal on the humidimeter so I ordered one.

Now I can see some sticks measured higher with the meter. I’m getting them down now and ordered new fresh Boveda packs and a couple blue tooth hygrometers.

I now log the humidimeter readings with notes I take when I smoke a cigar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Have not used a Boveda in I don't know how many years. I simply put a couple of fresh-rolled into my humidor each time I roll, cause that expensive humidor, despite it's glossy marquetry and lock, consistently leaks damp slowly. Seems to do the trick. The long-term stash lives in a fish cooler, inside seasoned cedar boxes. That place seems permanently stable.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't own one but I do know a lot about wood moisture meters so maybe I can shed some light.
The unit will not make any sense when measuring stuff like lemonade or wood. The electrical resistance range is not calibrated for anything except tobacco.
You should be able to measure the RH of a single leaf by touching the pins to the leaf. You don't need to stick them in.
I have seen reviews of this and I'm surprised how well it works considering that the density of the cigar (tight or loose) should affect the reading. The current will find the path of least resistance from one pin to the other and I would have thought the readings would therefore be all over the place, but it seems to work much better than I expected.
Here is an interesting review that shows the variations in readings you can expect

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't understand how it works without reading temperature. The components of rh are moisture and temperature. This thing only reads moisture and the calibration block provides an electrical resistance so the meter always reads 70%. That thing will calibrate to 70% in Florida and it will be 70% in California. Doesn't that seem more like an absolute reading? Maybe I'm looking too far into this thing.

With that being said, I kinda like the idea of it and the cost isn't so bad. Im more inclined to get the Flir cause the company is well known and it reads temperature which says to me that it will calculate rh properly.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RH measures air not the cigar. This is not about RH anymore. Not unless maybe we are metering the moisture of a cigar to better serve the burn in a specific RH level?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
RH measures air not the cigar. This is not about RH anymore. Not unless maybe we are metering the moisture of a cigar to better serve the burn in a specific RH level?
Hmmm I get what you're saying. However it's confusing to me because on the website it states "accurately gives you a digital readout of the relative humidity inside your premium cigar."

If they wanted to make clear about what their product does they should state that the calibration unit is designed to show 70% at 70 degrees F. Then the user can understand the reading it's giving. Can the unit even be calibrated?

I'm just thinking out loud. Its a cool toy. With potential for usefulness. People finding it useful?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right, we petition to them for an edit to read "accurately gives you a digital readout of the moisture percentage level inside your premium cigar."
I mean, for what is relation have the part in it? The leaf, a solid like the water unlike the air and the humidity, they are a gas. "elemental"

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't own one but I do know a lot about wood moisture meters so maybe I can shed some light.
The unit will not make any sense when measuring stuff like lemonade or wood. The electrical resistance range is not calibrated for anything except tobacco.
You should be able to measure the RH of a single leaf by touching the pins to the leaf. You don't need to stick them in.
I have seen reviews of this and I'm surprised how well it works considering that the density of the cigar (tight or loose) should affect the reading. The current will find the path of least resistance from one pin to the other and I would have thought the readings would therefore be all over the place, but it seems to work much better than I expected.
Here is an interesting review that shows the variations in readings you can expect

Besides being slow and didactic, this vid makes no sense. Let's assume the meter reads resistamce amd runs that thru an algorithm. So... When you measure the foot, you are sending current thru adjacent leaves; but when you measure the head, you send current thru the same leaf... thus you would expect these readings to differ.

Why does that diff matter?

The heck is the calibration block?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That a good video that clears things up. Thanks for posting that!