What's new

Humidity of leaf

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being brand new and never even rolling my first cigar, I have purchased some leaf to get started. I have the leaves in a 100 qt. cooler (I call my "leafador") and am using the silica cat litter in a stocking for humidity. What relative humidity should I be aiming for when it come to storing the leaf? I live in Colorado where in the winter the humidity is probably in the 20% or below. Right now my leafador is sitting at 90% humidity and I can't seem to bring it down. If it needs to be around 70% how do I dry out the cat litter? Any help is appreciated.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sound, feel, and flixibility are better indicators than any dial... see the discussion here:
-- somewhere round the 20th minute, IIRC

That said:
I have a leafador for filler that lives around 65%
I have a leafador for binder & wrapper that lives around 70 - 75%

But then, every day I set two wrapper halves in this conditioning chamber:
for several hours, in order to achieve the flexible dampness required to wrap a perfecto

Parejo wrappers don't need to be so flexible and stretchy as fecto wraps

If your leaf comes from Whole Leaf, then the original bags will hold dampness quite well. If it comes from LeafOnly, then not.

Of course, living in Colorado you already know how abruptly cold or hot weather can alter relative humidity.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If your leaf comes from Whole Leaf, then the original bags will hold dampness quite well. If it comes from LeafOnly, then not.
So why are the bags from Leaf Only not as good? They seem to be standard plastic bags. I give a little spritz of water into the bag, roll the end closed and stick it in a cooler. It seems to work well. They stay flexible for several months. I adjust the moisture content the day before I decide to roll. Filler usually drier and wrapper/binder a bit wetter.