What's new

Humidity Problems

Patch58

Hospital Slave Labor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I could use some help with my humidity situation. I've been reading old posts and found some great info, but I'm still having problems. I bought a new Savoy humidor and seasoned it according to the "Primer on seasoning and humidification." I calibrated my hygrometer w/ a Boveda 75 pack and I'm using the 65% Puck w/ distilled water. For 3 weeks now, the humidity and temp are 74-78%. I removed the cigars and left the humidor open to "air out" for a few hours this past weekend. But when I replaced everything, the next day the levels were in teh high 70's again. Currently I'm re-claibrating my hygrometer w/ the Boveda pack. I'm at a loss and any help would be greatly appreciated.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
at this time of, depending where you live, it can be tough to get humidity to drop. if the humidity in your home is high, opening you humidor for a few hours wont help much. although i am not a fan of kitty litter, adding a small container of plain old dry silica gel can help get your humidity down to the 65% level. keep us informed of your progress, and we can help.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
what is in your puck? Is it floral foam, gel, or crystals?
The puck comes with beads in it.

You are on the right track though. I would confirm the accuracy of the hygrometer one more time to be sure.

Depending on where you live, you may not have to add any distilled water to the beads as of right now. I have had no humidification in my cabinet for the past 3-4 moonths and have held steady at 65-66&#37; (Virginia). You could dry them out and see if they absorb some of the excess humidity.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
That's what I figured, but I know some humis come with the circular floral foam. I would also have him check how wet his beads are. It needs to be at least 1/3 dry. If you're in a really humid place it needs to be 2/3. At least that is all the info I get.

From personal experience, having a ton of water in the beads can easily lead to higher humidities. When I first got mine I got em pretty wet and my humidity shot up to about 80&#37; or so. I left em out for a day and put em back in and everything was fine.

Patch58

Hospital Slave Labor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the quick responses. I am using the Puck w/ beads from Cigarmony. I hadn't thought that I might have too much water in the beads...I'll try to dry them out a little. Thanks a ton and I will keep everyone posted...

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the quick responses. I am using the Puck w/ beads from Cigarmony. I hadn't thought that I might have too much water in the beads...I'll try to dry them out a little. Thanks a ton and I will keep everyone posted...
There are a couple of methods. If you run a search here, you will find the correct oven temp and time (putting them on a cookie sheet) or you could put them in a piece of panty hose and slowly blow dry them.

I have never done either so I can't offer much help on the technique but some others probably can.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Something else that came to mind is you might want to try and lower your temp in your humi. lower temps = lower humidity At least that is the way it is for me. I am battling trying to get my humidity up in the mid 60's. My temp ranges from 68 to 71. You may think, thats not to bad, but I live in FL where the humidity outside ranges between 80 to a million.

just my 0.02 good luck getting it the way you want.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
There are a couple of methods. If you run a search here, you will find the correct oven temp and time (putting them on a cookie sheet) or you could put them in a piece of panty hose and slowly blow dry them.

I have never done either so I can't offer much help on the technique but some others probably can.
I think you're pretty much right on Dave, but I think since it's in the puck, he could use the hairdryer w/o using your pantyhose.

Patch58

Hospital Slave Labor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think the beads in my Puck were to wet. I dried them out over the weekend and since then my humidity has been 66% the entire time!!!

Patch