What's new

Humidity Problems

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys. I need some advice. I have a Newair 300 and have 3 calibrated hygrometers in it. Usually the humidity stays right at 65% +/- 2% with Heartfelt 65% tubes. We are having issues with our air conditioner (will probably need to replace it) so the house temp is higher than normal 78-79F. I’m getting readings on my hygrometers of 59% on the bottom 66 in the middle hygro and 60 on the top. I have lowered the temp on the Newair to 61 and added some distilled water in the bottom. I do have 2 fans in the unit. What else can I do?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Since you already have fans in the unit, the low hanging fruit is gone, lol.

Lots of variables left: how full is the unit/how much circulation is happening?
Did you add anything recently?
How often are you in/out of it?

Off the top of my head, first easy thing I'd try is go the other way with the wino temp. With higher outside temps, the colder you have the cooler the greater the differential, and every time you open the door warm air rushes in a hits that plate and you could be getting puddles of condensation. The beads / fans might not be able to keep up.
Raise the temp (keep under 70, of course) Shouldn't be any issues, and will probably get less condensation.

Other thought, rearrange stuff for more circulation.

And recheck hrgro calibration (again), lol.

Good luck.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since you already have fans in the unit, the low hanging fruit is gone, lol.

Lots of variables left: how full is the unit/how much circulation is happening?
Did you add anything recently?
How often are you in/out of it?

Off the top of my head, first easy thing I'd try is go the other way with the wino temp. With higher outside temps, the colder you have the cooler the greater the differential, and every time you open the door warm air rushes in a hits that plate and you could be getting puddles of condensation. The beads / fans might not be able to keep up.
Raise the temp (keep under 70, of course) Shouldn't be any issues, and will probably get less condensation.

Other thought, rearrange stuff for more circulation.

And recheck hrgro calibration (again), lol.

Good luck.
Hey thanks Ape. I’m not in and out of it much, maybe 2-3 times a week and haven’t been for the past week and a half as I’d been away. I haven’t added anything new in a while (tear in eye). It’s my understanding that raising the temp will lower RH but I’ll try it. I actually am rechecking the hydros one at a time. I’ll try rotation as well. I have been thinking about doing that. Thanks.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
@chefjohn , you're welcome. Hopefully it clears up.

Last bit of advice is that boveda and/or heartfelt beads tend to be pretty straight forward. They (almost) always work, barring a bad batch or possibly being very old.

If you have circulation, good beads, and a sealed container (check your seals on the NewAir)... It's damn near bulletproof.
Messing with it will probably just be counterproductive.

Try a couple things to ease your mind... Maybe mess with the fans or airflow a bit, rotate stock a little...and then just let it be. If you have some pricy/special cigars you're genuinely worried about, put them in a Ziploc or Tupperware with a small boveda pack until you get your issues sorted out.
That way you don't have to worry too much if things take a bit.

99.8% of the time, my wino is absolutely rock solid, but I have gone through RH issues a couple times.
Each time it's like chasing ghosts, and in the end I'm not sure if I fixed it, or it went away.

Good hunting

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@chefjohn , you're welcome. Hopefully it clears up.

Last bit of advice is that boveda and/or heartfelt beads tend to be pretty straight forward. They (almost) always work, barring a bad batch or possibly being very old.

If you have circulation, good beads, and a sealed container (check your seals on the NewAir)... It's damn near bulletproof.
Messing with it will probably just be counterproductive.

Try a couple things to ease your mind... Maybe mess with the fans or airflow a bit, rotate stock a little...and then just let it be. If you have some pricy/special cigars you're genuinely worried about, put them in a Ziploc or Tupperware with a small boveda pack until you get your issues sorted out.
That way you don't have to worry too much if things take a bit.

99.8% of the time, my wino is absolutely rock solid, but I have gone through RH issues a couple times.
Each time it's like chasing ghosts, and in the end I'm not sure if I fixed it, or it went away.

Good hunting
Yeah mine has been rock solid as well till we started having trouble with our A/C. It’s probably going to need to be replaced. Thanks for the input.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Just spitballing here but my guess is if your house is warmer because the AC is not doing its job, the wino is probably running more. With the ambient temperature in your house being higher it may also be creating more condensation inside the wino due to the higher temperature variation between the inside and outside of the unit.

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AC dries your air out so the RH in your house is going to be higher with the AC on the fritz soo.......
And your RH has gone DOWN
Sorry brother I got nothing
I know in the morning when our house is colder my RH is lower but as the house heats up the RH goes up with it.
Im Confused