What's new

Humidity still too high?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm using 65% Bovedas in the humi, but RH is still going up as high as 71%, and some sticks are getting spongy and soft. I tried adjusting the temp up to 68 from 64 in the hopes that would help. Anyone have ideas on how to help lower RH?

@Rupe - I believe you mentioned kitty litter in my other post...seems like that might help when RH gets a bit out of control?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dustless, crystal kitty litter will help but you may want to get the humidity down first.

If you have a high humidity emergency maybe try a bit of damp rid? You have a problem you haven't found yet. What are the bovedas showing when tested outside of the humi? Couple plastic ziplocks and your hygrometer?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Better yet they make a desicant for drying flowers at Hobby Lobby that I have used in the past, worked well and can be dried out in the oven and reused.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Dustless, crystal kitty litter will help but you may want to get the humidity down first.

If you have a high humidity emergency maybe try a bit of damp rid? You have a problem you haven't found yet. What are the bovedas showing when tested outside of the humi? Couple plastic ziplocks and your hygrometer?
I've tested them randomly and they're usually always +-1 degree to 65%.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
@Texican

Is this in a newair type cigar cooler if so make sure you do not have water puddling in the bottom by the drain or running down the back of the unit

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Texican

Is this in a newair type cigar cooler if so make sure you do not have water puddling in the bottom by the drain or running down the back of the unit
My Needone cigar cooler doesn't hold moisture, but it has a bad habit of jumping if the ambient humidity gets above 50% in the house.

I ended up taking all of the Bovedas out and using a fan to pull the humidity down to 65% - 67% depending on position in the humidor. Then I closed it and let it sit. I had to do it two or three times, but now it stays between 65% and 68% without any Bovedas.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I unplugged my audew. I seem to have way better luck that way. Two large boveda in there and I don’t check it too frequently. Might be an idea
I might unplug mine. The humidity isn't an issue, but I have found the fan can suck in smells. So, burning incense in the other room seems to be effecting flavors.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If the fan is sucking in outside air the unit will never keep humidity steady. It should be a closed environment with only heat being expelled by the heat sink.

I direct an external fan on the heat sink to help my Newair cool and internal "slot fans" to help keep the air inside moving. The internal fans help prevent temperature and humidity layering and air blowing across the cold plate prevents sweating.

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I would worry about pooling water. I have never plugged in my wineador, not once since I got it, for fear of pooling water. I have it in a good spot, staying always between 64 and 68 degrees, no matter the outside temp. If that weren’t the case, I would be researching some sort of closed cooling environment.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
No leaks or water that I can see. I forgot I had some big desiccant packs, so I tossed a couple in there and the RH is down to 62-64%. I've also ordered some 62% Bovedas which I will replace the 65%ers with. I probably should have done that to begin with since the actual RH in my humi tends to sit around 3-4% higher than the Boveda % anyway.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the fan is sucking in outside air the unit will never keep humidity steady. It should be a closed environment with only heat being expelled by the heat sink.

I direct an external fan on the heat sink to help my Newair cool and internal "slot fans" to help keep the air inside moving. The internal fans help prevent temperature and humidity layering and air blowing across the cold plate prevents sweating.
You're right there are two separate fans. One is internal and one external for the heat sinks. It makes me wonder what the taste and smell could be coming from.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All them Acids you got stored in there!
Damn it I outed myself! :muted:

For some reason my cigars are all tending toward bland over time. Some are tasting like the smell of a Japanese incense that I burn. The Herrera Esteli Brazilian Maduro was the worst offender, but the Norteno and JdN silver are starting to follow the same path.

I don't have sitting water issues and the humidity has been between 65% and 69% at the highest.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So you are saying you smoke a bunch of dope, burn incense to get rid of the smell then smoke a cigar and you wonder why your cigars taste like crap?

I've noticed the same issue with Brazilian Mata Fina aging strange. The DE Natural and Kentucky Fire Cured type cigars also seem to age amplifying the weird flavors they began with.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So you are saying you smoke a bunch of dope, burn incense to get rid of the smell then smoke a cigar and you wonder why your cigars taste like crap?

I've noticed the same issue with Brazilian Mata Fina aging strange. The DE Natural and Kentucky Fire Cured type cigars also seem to age amplifying the weird flavors they began with.
Nah, I just like Japanese in sense. As Alan Watts would say, I'm a sensualist. Music, international food, tobacco, and coffee are my way of experiencing the ways nature can excite the senses. I try to avoid things that dull or overly excite the mind.

I swear the last BOTL I smoked had a Worcestershire sauce taste too it that was overpowering. I'm thinking aging DE cigars may not be a great idea.