What's new

Humidity variations within the cabinet

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Does humid air settle to the bottom of cabinet humidors?
The set point of my Avallo 1200 is at 64, and it stays pretty constant around 63. It doesn't cycle much, unless I open it :twisted:
Over the weekend, I smoked a few cigars from the cabs on the bottom shelf, and they seemed a little "wet". I stuck what I believe is an accurate Western Digital hygrometer in the bottom shelf, and it read 69%, which is higher than I prefer my smokes at.

Has anyone ever noticed anything like this before?
Do I need more than the 4 fans I'm using?
It is not really full, maybe 2/3 of capacity.
Should I air it out more often?
The smokes from the drawer and middle shelf seem to smoke OK.
What do you guys think?

Scott

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Yes, humidity does settle to the bottom of the cabinet. I have 2 cabinets at home, and the bottom is usually about 2 points higher than the top. You have plenty of fans in the Avallo. You dont need anymore. Another trick that I use is to put a pound of 65% beads in the bottom of the cabinet. Another thing to remember is that electronic Humidification systems dont stay accurate forever. The calibration can drift for a number of reasons. The Accumonitor calibration kit should help you out quite a bit.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
And you can use the Humidipak from the calibration kit to check the accuracy of your western hygrometer.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
RonC said:
Another trick that I use is to put a pound of 65% beads in the bottom of the cabinet.
That's a good idea! I have some left over, I'll stick them in there.

This issue is the main reason I requested that calibration kit you offered in the other thread.

Thanks RonC :smt023