What's new

Humidity while infusing cigars?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally do not smoke flavored or infused cigars. However I will admit a couple times a year I do smoke one. Just to switch things up.

I decided I am going to try to infuse a couple sticks at home just to give it a shot. I grabbed a couple Macanudo cigars that have been laying in my humidor for a while. Stuck them in a new rubbermade container, the ones that seal up tight. I also took an old humidifier that use to have silica gel in it. I opened it up and dumped out the no longer working stuff. I poured a small amount of cognac in the container. I put that and a hydrometer inside the container.

I have used these containers a lot in the past for cigars. When I buy a couple flavored or infused cigars I use these them to keep them out of my humidor. They also work great for travel. I use either humidity beads ir boveda packs with them.

I expected to have a slightly higher humidity level. As it’s basically sealed. However very very quickly the humidity has jumped up to 82%. I trust this hydrometer I is accurate.

82% humidity would scare the crap out of me in my regular humidor. Is this normal for infusing cigars or is this a high risk of damage / mold? I do have a 69% Boveda humidity pack that is unopened. I thought about throwing that in there but I was told when they are fresh they don’t absorbe humidity that well. My local B&M has a variety of them.

Lastly I was thinking about removing the container and just getting a piece of sponge and dampening it to put inside.

What should I do? Thank you!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No experience just thoughts

Does the alcohol in the cognac prevent mold, allowing a higher humidity while infusing?

If you are using cigars that you probably wouldn't smoke anyway what is the harm of letting it go a while to see what happens.

What happens if you try something a bit more aggressive? Mist the cigars with the cognac and allow to dry?

Wouldn't lowering the temperature reduce the possibility of mold with high humidity?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the “alcohol” preventing mold I have no idea I’ve never tried this before. It was a thought will smoking an MX2.

The cigars I used are not ones that I smoke regularly. I do keep a few of them in my humidor sometimes if I smoke a cigar early I like the mild profile. Also when I started smoking cigars that was my go to. Also if one of my friends who does not smoke randomly wants to smoke a cigar I recommend those. So no I’m not worried about them getting damaged.

Everything I’m reading is saying to let them infuse for 4-6 weeks. But no less than two weeks. So I’m just gonna ride it out. If the sticks go bad I’ll try something else like coffee. What I’ll probably do is when I decide I’m done infusing I’ll remove the alcohol clean out the container. I will then put the cigars back in with a 65% humidity pack and let it rest a week or so to bring down the level of moisture in the cigar.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sounds like a plan i think with coffee you are using the oils in the coffee to flavor the cigars so I've heard of people covering the cigar with the beans.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Here are a couple of random thoughts based on my experience when I played around with infusing some sticks years ago.

*I had the best success when I dry boxed the cigars first for at least a couple of weeks before I attempted to infuse them. That way when I put a small container of alcohol in with them it absorbed faster and did not over-humidify them as much.

*Infusing crappy cigars will sometimes just give you crappy cigars with a hint of rum or cognac.

* Placing a Boveda in with them while infusing will more than likely just ruin the Boveda because it will pick up the moisture from whatever you are trying to infuse them with.

* You can always dry box afterwards or use crystal kitty litter to bring the RH back down.

I have not attempted this for several years now but remember it as being a fun "science experiment" from when I first got into the hobby. Please let us know how things turn out as you play around with this.

Last edited: