What's new

Humidor additives?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Here is a question for you chemistry majors out there. What can I mix with my distilled water that will kill any mold growth on a foam block without harming the cigars? Propolyne Glycol? or something else? I was thinking like the solutions they use in humidifiers the bacteristat type stuff? Or do I just replace the whole $2.00 foam block ever two weeks or so?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
shouldn't be getting mold on the foam every 2 weeks if you're using distilled water. Check your temp/humidity. Might be too high. I know for me in the summer it's hard to keep the temp below 75 in GA.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
shouldn't be getting mold on the foam every 2 weeks if you're using distilled water. Check your temp/humidity. Might be too high. I know for me in the summer it's hard to keep the temp below 75 in GA.
That is what I would have thought, temp is 70 degrees, humidity is 60%.
I have a wine cooler and I just opened it not to long ago to check the foam, and noticed some fluffies growing. I trimmed the foam down and resoaked it. I think on Monday I will buy a new block and some PG solution, somewhere. I don't know where to buy it around here, my B&M doesn't carry it. And just replace the whole thing.

68Trishield

Going Fast With Class
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is what I would have thought, temp is 70 degrees, humidity is 60%.
I have a wine cooler and I just opened it not to long ago to check the foam, and noticed some fluffies growing. I trimmed the foam down and resoaked it. I think on Monday I will buy a new block and some PG solution, somewhere. I don't know where to buy it around here, my B&M doesn't carry it. And just replace the whole thing.
Have you thought about Beads Kelly?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have two lbs of beads in there with the foam block

will the copper ruin the sticks after long term use?
I don't know. I had one box with the slightest touch of mold but it's gone now. I know that copper kills mold but I don't know what it'll do to tobacco.

I do know that back in the day they lined humidors with copper, but the practice stopped and not sure why.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).
Make a solution around 0,2-0,4%.

This wil kill the bacteria.
Cigars will be fine as h2o2 will break down to water an oxygen.