What's new

Humidor Box will not hold humidity

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So,

I'm sure most if y'all remember my post where I spilled water in my humidor and was freaking out. Well, I have tried seasoning the damned thing twice with a bowl of distilled water, leaving it for a week, and then once by adding Bovedas a brother sent me. Nothing doing. Humidity always drops to 50 or lower when I take the bowl out. I'm about to trash this humidor box. Any suggestions on how to solve this? Is there any way to get humidity to hold?

I'm starting to realize Cigars International's freebies arent such a deal after all. My Whynter seasoned up like a champ with no hiccups........ And then we have this.

Oh well. I guess it's Bovedas and Ziplocs to store my overstock unless I'm missing something.

CC

Coincrazed

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tupperdore. Those freebies/cheap humidors have a paper thin sheet of Spanish cedar over a plywood bottom. Garbage.
Truth. Garbage is an understatement. I'm going to give it to my dad to store stuff in. He loves wooden boxes, it'll make his day.

I'm gonna use Tupperware and Ziplocs like you said, since I can't afford another Whynter yet.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Been battling with something similar over here in San Diego. Never had the issue when I lived in Hawaii. Tonight, I moved all my smokes in my desktop humidors to a large tupperdore with a “gasket” on the lid and locking handles.

I tossed in a few Bovedas and checked it about 4 hours afterwards - floating around 64-65 RH, so I’m going to use that for now and look at testing my seals on the desktops, along with possibly resealing the glass tops if they need them.

Figure I’ll try and season the interior walls with some DW and maybe add some sort of additional seal to the edges. If that doesn’t work, either sell them on Craigslist or toss them out.

Rating - 100%
93   0   0
One other thing though, if you’re able to hold humidity with your bowl inside, maybe it’s the smokes you’re putting in the humidor taking all the humidity out? Maybe the Boveda isn’t able to keep it up that high.

I personally don’t care for Bovedas, but that’s just me. Might want to look into other humidity options like beads or kitty litter, they tend to hold and release a little more humidity in an enclosed area better, IMO.

Coincrazed

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One other thing though, if you’re able to hold humidity with your bowl inside, maybe it’s the smokes you’re putting in the humidor taking all the humidity out? Maybe the Boveda isn’t able to keep it up that high.

I personally don’t care for Bovedas, but that’s just me. Might want to look into other humidity options like beads or kitty litter, they tend to hold and release a little more humidity in an enclosed area better, IMO.
I didn't put any smokes in it! That's the problem. It drops in a day, like a rock in water. As soon as I take the bowl out.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Does the lid make a "whoosh" sound when you close it? If not, it probably doesn't have a great seal.
When you remove the bowl is there another method of humidification such as a boveda or kitty litter as Jason suggested? With no cigars in the humidor and no humidification source there will be pretty wild swings when you open and close the humidor as it will be pulling in ambient air with nothing to combat it. An empty humidor, especially a cheaply built one, is kind of like an empty refrigerator. A refrigerator needs things with mass inside to help maintain a steady temperature when opened. Likewise, a humidor needs cigars and/or a humidification source to help maintain a steady relative humidity.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
A lot of inexpensive price point Humidor are made in ASIA a wet climate, then put in a shipping container to be sent the USA by sea, then trucked cross country to some wheahouse, then sent to Joe consumer. What would they not hold humidity, when they were warp before you got them.

Most of the Asian Humidor are marginal at best. Diamond Crown & Craftsmen's Bench are the only Asian humidor with a warranty that is more then words on paper. J.C. Newman stand behind what they sell, so you should have bought one of theirs.

JMHO.

Or gone the Tupper-A-Dor route.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Everyone is correct. Definitely not the best thing going. But it could work well enough. It will hold better with some humidification and sticks in it. To help it do better you could seal the corners with aquarium sealant silicone. But this time of year the air is super dry, so it's gonna dry out quick with nothing in it.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I have had trouble keeping the humidity up in my humidor when the temperature drops outside. I normally keep it in the guest room which tends to be a little drafty. I have to move it to a different part of the house with more constant temperature. But does just fine maintaining humidity once in a constant warmer temperature.

Coincrazed

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does the lid make a "whoosh" sound when you close it? If not, it probably doesn't have a great seal.
When you remove the bowl is there another method of humidification such as a boveda or kitty litter as Jason suggested? With no cigars in the humidor and no humidification source there will be pretty wild swings when you open and close the humidor as it will be pulling in ambient air with nothing to combat it. An empty humidor, especially a cheaply built one, is kind of like an empty refrigerator. A refrigerator needs things with mass inside to help maintain a steady temperature when opened. Likewise, a humidor needs cigars and/or a humidification source to help maintain a steady relative humidity.
No swoosh at all. The seal is horrible. I'm just going to scrap it and use Tupperware until I can afford another wineador.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on Craigslist. Set up an alert in your area for 'humidor' and wait. You will see all sorts of humidors but once in a while some really good ones come up. That includes custom made humidors, cooladors and wineadors

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Keep an eye on Craigslist. Set up an alert in your area for 'humidor' and wait. You will see all sorts of humidors but once in a while some really good ones come up. That includes custom made humidors, cooladors and wineadors

If you go the Craig list route, a tip is get a bright small flash light, ask the buyer if you can put the Humidor in the Bathroom or Closet without a window. Turn on the light, close the top, and see if you see any light in the dark coming from the humidor.

Not 110% perfect, but it will ID leakers.