What's new

Humidor problem

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I am hoping that someone here has experienced this problem and knows how to fix it. I have a 100-150 count humidor at home that I keep a few stick in, not a lot but maybe 20-30. I went to get something out of it last week and I noticed that the smell of cedar was very strong. I would even go as far say to say it was too strong. I have had this humidor for going on 4 years and never had this problem before. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Hmmm, an increase in cedar aroma? That's kinda strange. Anything different in the environment the humidor is in? Maybe there is something different like a lack of a cross breeze that is allowing you to notice the scent more. :dunno:

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No, it has sat on top of my tv for the whole time I have had it. I would even say that the smell was so strong that it I would almost mistake it for aromatic cedar but I have had this for some time and just noticed the smell.

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
But it's been sitting on his TV for the past 4 years.

How long ago did you open it last time (when you didn't notice the strong smell)? The only two things I can think of are:

Could it have been that you put over-humidified cigars into it (unbeknownst) and the cedar soaked up the moisture and is why it's releasing a stronger smell?

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Weird, as far as I know the "cedar" used in humidors is supposed to be spanish cedar (not actually cedar) and non-aromatic.

I wonder how much those hygrometers with a metal poker are to poke into the wood and test the humidity.

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It is not sitting right on top of the tv. It is sitting on top of the entertainment center I guess I should have been more clear. The Rh in the humi is at 65% and has been there for the whole summer and I havn't added any sticks to it in quite a while. It is not a humidor that I open a lot. Maybe it just needs to be aired out.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I think the TV is a problem, but you have me clueless on the new smell.

Maybe it was your allergies acting up????