What's new

Humidor Stinks?!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Brother gave me a humidor he found from an estate sale. It's the standard Thompson Cigar desktop humidor that every newbie fell prey to. I've still got mine from a decade ago. But this one stinks of smoke. Like someone dumped a cigar nub in it. I was planning on seasoning it and tossing a digital hygro and boveda in it, filling it with sticks and giving it to a newbie friend who doesn't know what to smoke. This thing smells so bad I'm afraid it will ruin anything I put in it. I've wet down the wood and left it open to air out. Reckon that will help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Smith

Opus junkie
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brother gave me a humidor he found from an estate sale. It's the standard Thompson Cigar desktop humidor that every newbie fell prey to. I've still got mine from a decade ago. But this one stinks of smoke. Like someone dumped a cigar nub in it. I was planning on seasoning it and tossing a digital hygro and boveda in it, filling it with sticks and giving it to a newbie friend who doesn't know what to smoke. This thing smells so bad I'm afraid it will ruin anything I put in it. I've wet down the wood and left it open to air out. Reckon that will help?

Try baking soda. Take out cigars. Put baking soda in container. Leave it in. Could take like a week

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I could be totally wrong in this, but it's just a thought. You might try over hydrating it, and then do the baking soda trick.

I know Forrest sells Spanish Cedar bags for like $5 or something, that you could use to hopefully infuse (if thats even possible) once you've dried it up a bit.

Just a thought. May be a horrible idea...

Best of luck!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I'd try putting it in direct sunlight for a while, then baking soda. of course it could warp it, but it might be the only option. I think famous or somebody has a free humi with a $75 dollar purchase right now.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Worst comes to worst I'll just toss it and put his stuff in a tupperdor. It's not a bad looking box though so I'd like to salvage it. Thanks for the tips.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You know you can always run a bit of fine sandpaper on the exposed wood, see if knocking of the soiled wood would help. I did that with some boxes I had and the nice cedar fragrance came back.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I'd pitch it and go the tupperdor route, but I have no patience for putting a dollars worth of work into a quarters worth of goods.