What's new

Humidor too humid?

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Well, as some know, im just setting up a small desktop humidor...
So i seasoned it over the last few days, and left it closed for another day and a half... it holds a RH% of just under 80% constantly (empty, no source of humidity inside)
Do i just wait till it goes down by it's self and then put cigars in it? or is there something i can do about that? I was thinking of leaving it open for a bit till it went down? the humidity in my room is just under 70% currently according to the hygrometer (digital)

carocaniac

i hope this lighter works
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That is normal, especially if it was a little over-seasoned. The key word in your question that your working with a "small desktop humidor". I would wait it out a little and the let the RH go down a bit. Ideal RH would be 66 to 69%, no higher than 70! To humid and you got a problem but to dry and wrappers get ruined quickly. Play it safe, wait and see, Good Luck and enjoy your newest investment to protect your smoking investments!

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
only seasoned for a few days? What was your method of seasoning...something doesn't sound right. If you only seasoned for a few days it should be nowhere near 80%.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
You can bleed the extra humidity out. Just shim open the top a little. But keep a close watch on it. Check it often.

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
only seasoned for a few days? What was your method of seasoning...something doesn't sound right. If you only seasoned for a few days it should be nowhere near 80%.

Ditto....it takes more than a few days to season a new humidor.....:scratchhe:scratchhe

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
a few days of seasoning is just about a week (i bought the humidor on Tuesday before last) don't know if it should take longer than that, but i did what a couple people mentioned, before i read the thread on here about just leaving a shot glass in there with distilled water for a week or two. I used the wipe down method, and left the moist towel in there on top of a piece of plastic for a day, then did it again for a total of 3 days of wiping it down, and leaving the towel in for another couple days ( I forgot about it, college spring break kept me busy)

Yes the hygrometer was calibrated, but i will double check that tomorrow.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
a few days of seasoning is just about a week (i bought the humidor on Tuesday before last) don't know if it should take longer than that, but i did what a couple people mentioned, before i read the thread on here about just leaving a shot glass in there with distilled water for a week or two. I used the wipe down method, and left the moist towel in there on top of a piece of plastic for a day, then did it again for a total of 3 days of wiping it down, and leaving the towel in for another couple days ( I forgot about it, college spring break kept me busy)

Yes the hygrometer was calibrated, but i will double check that tomorrow.
That would explain it. Super saturated the wood. It will go down. I would wait before putting the cigars in it until it is down a bit.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Ditto....it takes more than a few days to season a new humidor.....:scratchhe:scratchhe
Depending on where it comes from, it may already be at least partially seasoned. I bought a box from Tampa Humidor last year, and due to where it came from it was pretty much seasoned when I got it. We rush to define and state absolutes, but there are a bunch of variables to be considered.

Mark

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Why does everyone say that? I have seasoned several humidors in like 12 hours or so. every one of them has held humidity perfectly. I have never had a problem with them. No warping no discoloring. I had really good sucess seasoning my Humi's.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Depending on where it comes from, it may already be at least partially seasoned. I bought a box from Tampa Humidor last year, and due to where it came from it was pretty much seasoned when I got it. We rush to define and state absolutes, but there are a bunch of variables to be considered.

Mark

I was thinking the same thing... If the humidor is in a humid place (kinda like south Florida) would it not have taken in natural humidity with time?