What's new

Humidors with Glass - Yay or Nay?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I feel like I've heard it said in the past that glass top humidors have issues with holding humidity levels. Is there some truth to that or am I making it up? I ask because I've seen some really nice humidor cabinets with glass fronts and they seem to work fine as do my winedors with glass doors.

Thoughts?

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Ant, I would never have thought about food grade silicone. Great idea! Found a small, squeezable tube on Amazon for cheap if anyone is interested (click here).

Other than the Winedors, I do not have anything with glass in it. But I saw @btubes18's thread about a cabinet up for auction with glass doors and it made me wonder.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Wineadors are designed to seal properly to keep humidity and temperature.
Correct. I guess I never thought it through all the way that, like @wantacigar said, the cheaper humidors with glass have the issues. I assume it's because they are just that, cheap. A Winedor and cabinet can be made cheap and would, therefore, have issues as well.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen an expensive (i.e., quality) desktop humidor that incorporates glass into the design.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I think I might try and build a cabinet humidor. Knowing that the glass can be sealed and isn't a direct issue will make it much easier to build.
yeah absolutely. most of the cheap humidors have bad QC and not very tight fitting components. so it leaks badly around the glass. seal that up and you're good. if you're building one with tighter tolerances you can likely get away without any actual sealant. it really comes down to the quality and craftmanship but is definitely a *thing* where cheaper glass tops will leak.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
You get what you pay for. Cheap desktops with glass are usually produced in larger lot sizes and more prone to QA issues. Fortunately, the FG silicone can remedy this QA issue and yield a decent desktop for a fraction of the cost. Or you can go even cheaper and use a cooler, like me! (y)

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Early on I was using this very model - my issue was the external hygrometer is cheap plastic that didn't seal to the body of the humidor. I recently purchased silicone similar to the link posted above and ran a bead on all internal seams on floor, internal sides, internal glass and external around the hygrometer. I use this humidor for cheaper daily cigars and keep the premium smokes in Wineadors.
hum_orleans_venetian_black_7024.jpg

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I think I might try and build a cabinet humidor. Knowing that the glass can be sealed and isn't a direct issue will make it much easier to build.
Yeah, as long as there is a good seal between the edges of the glass and the wood it's mated to, there won't be a problem. Glass has pretty much zero porosity. Double pane isn't even necessary, they just use it in winos for insulation value. / lessen condensation.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Yeah, as long as there is a good seal between the edges of the glass and the wood it's mated to, there won't be a problem. Glass has pretty much zero porosity. Double pane isn't even necessary, they just use it in winos for insulation value. / lessen condensation.
You should know @Glassman ! That's why you're the "GLASSMAN"!!

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Ant, I would never have thought about food grade silicone. Great idea! Found a small, squeezable tube on Amazon for cheap if anyone is interested (click here).

Other than the Winedors, I do not have anything with glass in it. But I saw @btubes18's thread about a cabinet up for auction with glass doors and it made me wonder.
I've always wanted one to be honest cause they do look nice and would stop me from constantly opening mine up to search for sticks or see what I want to smoke. The silicone is definitely a great way around any seepage. You can also use aquarium safe silicone as a back up but I would go with the food safe first. Both odorless, and the aquarium is made to not leech any chemicals into the water to be safe for the fish so it works just as well and can sometimes be a little cheaper. Let us know if you grab/build one and have any issues. And post some pics of the pick up or the build!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am currently restoring a avallo cabinet I got off Craigslist for a steal. Previous owner cracked the bottom right in the center of the wood using a Dolly. Just ordered some silicon (large tube) to help the seal when I replace the bottom. Thanks for the link and information.

Attachments

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
The only thing that worries me about glass humidors (that do actually seal well) is sunlight and the greenhouse effect. Glass allows light it, which will heat the surfaces it touches (your cigars) but won't allow heat to escape. So as bad as it is to leave your desktop humidor in direct sunlight, it could be worse to leave your glass humidor in sunlight without active cooling...

Just me being extra paranoid.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

cigarMVP

More Vegueros (or Gurkhas) Please
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My humidor is glass top and glass on the sides. Never had problem with humidity, it holds the level of the Boveda pack. I just keep it out of direct sunlight like "regular" humidors.

For me, I love being able to see my cigars when walking past my humidor or just wanting to check something. Doesn't let out humidity since I don't have to open it as much either ;)