What's new

Hunting

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Going deer hunting in the morning, got everything ready, specially my travel humi with four sticks and my Smith &Wesson 243 which has a Springfield bolt action. Just curious as to the brothers on here that enjoy hunting? Anyone who is in CO and wants to come hunt in the future give me a holler, anything from deer to prairie dogs! There are around 500 late season tags for pronghorn still left in my area. If you're against hunting feel free to let me have it, heard it all, don't care, I hunt to eat and feed my family not put a head on the wall. Although I do have a nice pronghorn buck mounted and he was delicious! :riflefire

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Next year we need to work out a pronghorn-elk hunt trade (with evening herfs)...

I didn't manage to bag an elk last week during 2nd season... But we have elk and mule deer sign all over our land this year... And we had 2 cows and a bull pop out and show themselves after we had completely packed up camp and were driving down the mountain on the last day...

I swear they were taunting me!!!!!!!!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If your rifle hunting you could prob get away with it. Last time i was at cabelas this old guy was telling a buddy and I about how he used to hunt out of a wood tree stand, no camo or scent blocker smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee the entire time and always got at least a couple deer. I have 3 nice doe's that come into my backyard all the time. One of these days its gonna be just 2 coming around.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
all depends on where you are and what you are hunting....

turkeys in the southeast with a shotgun... forget it...

prarie dogs in colorado at 300+ yards with a .22-250.. not a problem at all..

where I boar hunt in Arkansas, we bring propane heaters into the stands, drink coffee, smoke, etc.. and are rifle hunting at distances of 50 - 100 yards tops.. the pigs are completely unaware (theyre so hungry the only thing they are paying attention to is the corn field they are feeding on.. )...

its not uncommon to shoot one.. and have the rest of the herd return to feed less than 20 minutes later (theyre out in the brush waiting for us to haul off their buddy so they can get back to eating...)..

camo is absolutely unnecessary for deer at rifle distances.. their vision isnt great (nothing like a turkey, etc..).. and they are color blind.. scent blocker is a waste as well IMHO.. never used it.. and never had a problem dropping deer anywhere I have ever hunted (TN, AR, MS, CO, VA, GA)...

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Well I had my deer down by 8:00 this morning. Got three sticks in, one before and two after. mdwest is correct, it's not a problem to smoke as we rarely get a shot under 250-300 yds. We live out in the prairie and drive till we see em and then figure out how to get close enough to shoot em. Would definitely be up for a pronghorn/elk trade off brother! Have to get that planned for sure! Hopefully we'll have our "lounge" all set up by then! For those wondering I shoot a 243 smith and wesson with a springfield action, and to those who say its not "big" enough...one shot one kill...Yeah Buddy!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
you smoke while you deer hunt? that would be a mortal sin over here in WI/MN....and i kind of wish i would smoke while i hunt, it would make it even more enjoyable!
Didn't even realized you hunted too!
If I ever man up and learn how to field dress an animal, I might have to follow suit.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I smoke stogies whilst shooting various birds at around the farm, well within 20 metres although the furthest I'll get is 70-100m away. Haven't had a chance to go out hunting for a few years but I don't think the smoke will bother a roo or fox in the spotlight.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Nothing wrong with a .243 at all... I own one... And both my wife and my son use a .243 as their primary whitetail rifles... Great little gun when it's loaded right...

For heavy brush I use a .44-70... And in CO I typically carry my 7mm mag (better for long shots on big elk)...

But I wouldn't hesitate at all taking my .243 out for pronghorn, white tail, or even muleys...

I've killed 200+ lb hogs with a .243... No reason it won't drop a 200+ lb deer with a thinner hide and softer bones...

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm using a .22 hornet on everything up to a kangaroo. Does the job if shots placed right, does get messy on smaller targets ie birds. People bag hornets out but I'm perfectly happy for what I'm using it for. Not planning on shooting water buffalo with it. The local abattoirs uses a hornet to pit down sick cattle also.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I have a Savage 110 in .243

Really like the round and I'm not worried about what the magnum guys say about it.

Those that use the .243 know it can get the job done.

Congrats on getting your deer.:tiphat:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
243's shoot nice andfast and fly flat. Great round, especially in the wide open. I will definitely be down next year! I smoked the last several years I had a deer lease inTx while in a box blind. deer, turkey, hogs, no of them minded it. Heck, the turkeys would parade right in front of the blind, didn't bother them a bit. Didn't seem the bother the deer I would take either. Great place to have a smoke!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
That sucks Joe, surprised they allow hunting in the republic of california though! lol. Rock and Mdwest, sounds like we're gonna have a little BOTL hunting party herf next year, can't wait!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know how to hunt, my father never taught me anything. That is one thing that I wish I knew how to do. I could be taught. It's just that I don't have a clue where to get started. Good luck, have a successful hunt.