What's new

Hurricane Irma

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
So what is a cat 5 going to do to the supply of cubans over the next year or two? Shoud I keep stocking up? Could we be in for a lean year or two on the supply side?

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
I'd guess crops have already been harvested and the fields are probably empty....

The tobacco farm next to my land picked all their stock before we had a crazy week of rain... I'm sure they saw it coming and prepared. At least I hope so ..

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Read this article today after I had the same thought.
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/blogs/show/id/hurricane-season-19552
It hasnt been updated since Irma strengthened but still provides great insight. This isnt the strongest hurricane (yet) to hit Cuba in recent memory, but hurricanes have crippled or destroyed well established industries in Key West and Jamaica

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Unrelated to the tobacco industry but I can tell you island folk are remarkably resilient and plan well ahead for this type of stuff. Here on the mainland, we tend to wait to the last minute to act because you have that false sense of security that you can just run. You cant do that on an island. I lived on St Maarten for 3 years. Went through several storms, one a cat 4. The island bounced back fast because they shut everything down well ahead of time. Im talking power, water all the infrastructure. Irma is there right now and they are prepared. I also went through Sandy here in NJ and can tell you that the prep and the aftermath was handled better on the island than here because they take the prep very seriously and dont wait till the last minute.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Well stated @tattootommy I have a lot of opinions on this false sense of security you speak of, which I agree with, but will pass on commenting further on it so as not to rant. All I know is I hope the people affected by the devastation in Houston recover quick. At least It has been nice to see the country come together to aid in the relief. I also hope, but also am confident that all the islands including and around Puerto Rico, DR/Haiti and Cuba are prepared for Irma and pray that everyone is alright down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
The most recent NWS track shows Irma just skirting to the North of Cuba. Hope it misses Cuba, PR, Florida and everywhere inhabited.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
One bonus (if you can call it that) is the track of the hurricane looks to turn northward somewhere around Varadero. Most of the tobacco plantations are about 2-300 miles west of there so shouldn't see as much harsh weather.

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
One bonus (if you can call it that) is the track of the hurricane looks to turn northward somewhere around Varadero. Most of the tobacco plantations are about 2-300 miles west of there so shouldn't see as much harsh weather.
Cigar Aficionado posted an article today saying they've talked to farmers in the PDR area and they're reporting no major damage from the storm. The northern coast to the east of there however took a significant hit. Pictures I've seen on twitter show the Cayo Coco airport basically in shambles.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/hurricane-irma-has-little-effect-in-pinar-del-rio-19559

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was supposed to fly into Havana this last Saturday but Irma caused it to be re-scheduled. I am now going next month, I will ask around while there and see if I can find out some more information on this topic for everyone.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
I started stocking up when I heard about the first bad crop year............four years ago.

two more bad years since then, and now hurricanes......
since then I have laid in as many '12,'13, and '14 boxes as I could afford.

it cannot hurt to stock up, as aged CCs sell very easily.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I started stocking up when I heard about the first bad crop year............four years ago.

two more bad years since then, and now hurricanes......
since then I have laid in as many '12,'13, and '14 boxes as I could afford.

it cannot hurt to stock up, as aged CCs sell very easily.
Ya, im still going...its a sickness. We should form a group or something...