What's new

HVC La Rosa 520 - CoM Jun 2017 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Country of Manufacture: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo 99
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan

Sizes Produced:
Encantos 5 3/4 x 46
La Rosa 5 1/2 x 54
Reyes 6 1/4 x 48

From http://hvccigars.com:
Founded in 2011 by Reinier Lorenzo. Started as a way of paying homage to Havana City, where he lived for most of his life. Our goal is to keep the Cuban tradition of hand-made cigars alive and well. Our products are inspired by the cigar tradition of Cuba, specifically Havana City, while incorporating the customs of our adopted U.S. home. HVC is committed to providing the finest leaves from Nicaragua for your enjoyment. Each cigar is a unique experience in and of itself.

The La Rosa 520 was voted:
TOP 25 OF 2015 BY HALFWHEEL
TOP 25 OF 2016 BY HALFWHEEL​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Not much of a review but from a mostly CC smoker this cigar is as good as it's gets for NC smoking. Awesome cigar in the Toros size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Well here we go. Not much of a toro smoker anymore, just too much for me. But this is a gorgeous cigar, minus the sloppy cap and smattering of glue. Minimal veining, even packing, firm draw. Let's smoke it

Incredibly smooth start, lots of charred oak. Burning through a foot crack. Medium bodied, still woody, little bit of harshness. Really flaky ash.

Btw, THANK YOU @Opforty for this one :)

Second third, more cedar now, less smooth, medium-full profile, wavy burnline, but not bad. Kinda like a fresh off the boat CC. Think boli.

Ooooph second third starts and that is the end for me. Bitter, harsh, ashy. Not sure if it's wet, apparently at least a month old... but i refuse to smoke something that misbehaves like this.

My rating... reach for a BBF instead

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
179   0   0
20170610_145606.jpg
HVC La Rosa 520 Encantos
A good looking cigar capped with a pigtail and firm head to foot. The draw is about as perfect as I like and delivers plenty of smoke. The initial draws bring full flavors of milk chocolate, floral, light pepper and sweet cinnamon with medium strength to me. Burn line needs help here...
20170610_151510.jpg
and a tea flavor comes along after. The other flavors remain too; but that tea note yum, one of the favorites of mine as cigars and drinks go. The ashes have hung on, but seem loose so I tap them in the ashtray to keep from getting messy. About halfway in and a tannic note comes to dry my tongue a bit. The final third and the creamy taste from the milk chocolate becomes more pronounced. Apart from the wonky burn mostly throughout, the Encantos has been a treat for me. Guessing overall burn time to be 90 min. Review over, time to enjoy the rest of this one.
20170610_154938.jpg

FTBMelanie

Melanie
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here we go. Not much of a toro smoker anymore, just too much for me. But this is a gorgeous cigar, minus the sloppy cap and smattering of glue. Minimal veining, even packing, firm draw. Let's smoke it

Incredibly smooth start, lots of charred oak. Burning through a foot crack. Medium bodied, still woody, little bit of harshness. Really flaky ash.

Second third, more cedar now, less smooth, medium-full profile, wavy burnline, but not bad. Kinda like a fresh off the boat CC. Think boli.

Ooooph second third starts and that is the end for me. Bitter, harsh, ashy. Not sure if it's wet, apparently at least a month old... but i refuse to smoke something that misbehaves like this.

I really enjoy the La Rosa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Opforty

B&M Bomber
Rating - 100%
226   0   0

Ouch sorry it went so wrong. I never saw the tag in this post. Will have to put up a late review this weekend.

Op40

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Ouch sorry it went so wrong. I never saw the tag in this post. Will have to put up a late review this weekend.

Op40
Meh, it's alright! Definitely how this hobby works. Some cigars are always good. Some cigars are always bad. Some cigars can have unaccountable variably.

The best part is... there are TONS of smokes out there to find what you enjoy :)