What's new

I lost track of time, advice please

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Unspecified Bunker in El Paso - status: vagabond
If anybody can offer advice, May 25th is my father's birthday. (he's been gone 12 years this year) I have thought about creating a new personal tradition, I want to start smoking the first cigar he gave me that night, and just reminiscing.

It was a Davidoff (I mentioned on my intro thread it was a Millennium, but I found an old picture, it as an Aneversario.) Seems fitting to be an Anniversary.

Either way, the local B&M's I've been to out here don't carry(unless I'm missing one) would any of you trust, for certain, that any online retailer can guarantee delivery. I've ordered sticks from CI, Cigar.com and CBID, I never selected their fastest option, so I don't know.

Or would I be better off making a trip back to Albuquerque (where I lived before) maybe take some things back to my storage unit and buy from Monte's, I know that B&M will always carry.

I wish I had taken action on this sooner, it's obviously not a crisis, but with as much as he's crossed my mind staying at his old house, it seems like a good thing to do.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Keep an eye out for future reference for on-line smoke purchases: Famous Smoke, Small Batch and Neptune Cigar also. I think one of them give a 17% discount using a special code. There's an advertisement bar somewhere on the forum and it usually pops up.
Famous Smoke/CigarMonster = 17% off using "BOTLORG"
Small Batch = 10% off using "BOTL"

No idea on Neptune...

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Maybe Don Pepin Garcia 10th Anniversary. It was released in 2013. Coffin boxes I believe, got alot of high ratings by reviewers. I never have actually had one, just thinking what was released in 2013 from a prominent company that I believe will still be around 16 years later, or at the least have had such an impact on the industry that a story could be told of once was. I don't know if they can be found still, and they carried a ultra premium price tag, which may be what your looking for for this occasion.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm, on that note, has anyone else purchased cigars from their son's birth year and allowed them to age to be given as a gift to them when they turn 18?

I may also do that. Any recommendations on a good cigar from 2013 that I can still get a box of?
I was thinking about doing this. I was going to age a box of My Father either the no 2 belicoso or the le bijou.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I was thinking about doing this. I was going to age a box of My Father either the no 2 belicoso or the le bijou.
I have a My Father Le Bijou, I may smoke that this evening and consider it. What I really want is to start my son off with what my father started me with, Davidoff. But I'm fairly certain I can't afford a box of Davidoffs without either selling one of my firearms or not buying any cigars for me for the next 2-3 months.

I'm hoping I'll like the My Father's because it would be a nice name to be handed down, hehe. But I wonder, even if I like it, is it a good beginners smoke. I don't want to give my son a spice bomb that makes him never want to smoke again.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have a My Father Le Bijou, I may smoke that this evening and consider it. What I really want is to start my son off with what my father started me with, Davidoff. But I'm fairly certain I can't afford a box of Davidoffs without either selling one of my firearms or not buying any cigars for me for the next 2-3 months.

I'm hoping I'll like the My Father's because it would be a nice name to be handed down, hehe. But I wonder, even if I like it, is it a good beginners smoke. I don't want to give my son a spice bomb that makes him never want to smoke again.
IMO, the My Father line, along with most Pepin Garcia cigars have a lot of peppery spice. Might be too much for a novice palette.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The Le Bijou is pretty strong. It is one of my current favorites but I wouldn't recommend it to a new smoker. The My Father Connecticut might not be a bad choice if strength and flavor is a concern.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
What I really want is to start my son off with what my father started me with, Davidoff. But I'm fairly certain I can't afford a box of Davidoffs without either selling one of my firearms or not buying any cigars for me for the next 2-3 months.
That's kinda what it takes for some of us. I have a box from each of my five kids' birth years, and sold a bunch of stuff and saved for a several months to make each of them happen. Just like anything else, it comes down to setting priorities and having discipline. My twins are 18 months old, and I just got the second box I wanted for them last month.

I have a My Father Le Bijou...I'm hoping I'll like the My Father's because it would be a nice name to be handed down, hehe. But I wonder, even if I like it, is it a good beginners smoke. I don't want to give my son a spice bomb that makes him never want to smoke again.
Given that your son was born in 2013, there's little chance there'd be too much kick left when he's old enough to smoke one. Personally, I wouldn't go after a My Father as an aging box, unless it's the core line, which is a little more complex and I think has the profile to age better. I don't think the Le Bijou (or any of the really dark, broadleaf maduro wrapped cigars) would age as well, but that's just my humble opinion, and I'm no expert.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
That's kinda what it takes for some of us. I have a box from each of my five kids' birth years, and sold a bunch of stuff and saved for a several months to make each of them happen. Just like anything else, it comes down to setting priorities and having discipline. My twins are 18 months old, and I just got the second box I wanted for them last month.

Given that your son was born in 2013, there's little chance there'd be too much kick left when he's old enough to smoke one. Personally, I wouldn't go after a My Father as an aging box, unless it's the core line, which is a little more complex and I think has the profile to age better. I don't think the Le Bijou (or any of the really dark, broadleaf maduro wrapped cigars) would age as well, but that's just my humble opinion, and I'm no expert.
You're absolutely right, sir. It's time to save. It's 2015 anyway, I'm sure it'll take a bit of time to find a box of 2013 Cigars. Until then, decisions, decisions.

I also like your point, I only need to consider boxes that should be good for aging. Davidoff still seems high on the list. Might I ask what you got for your children?