What's new

II Festival del Habanos Maveras OSU FEB 00

havanaphile

Banned
Rating - 75%
4   1   0
I've never been to Cuba, much less to any special Habanos SA events in Havana, so, the oppurtunity to get ahold of any of the "Special Smokes" has passed me by. However, when I got word from a certain supplier that he had a box of these beauties from Feburary of 2000 from the La Corona factory in, well I took it. Coming in at over $11 for a petit corona, they are expensive, nevertheless, they are amazing. The thing that amazes me more, is that I got these fellows in July, and had my first one just now. I know I'm patient, but that is a bit of insanity, but come to think of it I haven't had a cigar from a box I got last year...

First, the mere aroma of these fellas will send most Marlboro smokers packing.

Second, the box I got was amazing. While only a little over 2 1/2 years old, these fellas have the scent of cigars which have been aged for over twice that time. Sometimes you can't tell a cigar by its wrapper, howver, with these, that's another story. They have a thin, oily, undoubtably corojo wrapper with a firery rosado hue...almost like, GASP, can it be, the Opus X. When I got them, my first thought was that these fellows were Havana's answer to the Opus X. The darkened feet gave some more creedance to that assumption, and my hunch payed off. Before I lit it, it had a slightly hard draw, but the unmistakeable earthy and floral flavor of top quality Cuban tobacco. Immeadately after I lit it, a strong salty, peppery flavor struck my pallate, leaving an impression that this was going to be a "real" cigar. It lit perfectly, without any work, coaxing, or arm-twisting necessary. It leaft that tingly feeling on my tounge that one gets when one lights a strong cigar up. It burned evenly, producing clouds of the strong, unmistakeable, blueish smoke that one finds in an aged Cubam cigar. The ash of the cigar, was at first white, but as the ash cooled down, it turned a brownish-grey, giving an unmistakeable signal that the leaves were grown on Sr. Robania's farm in the Vujeta Abajo--I have only had Vegas Robania cigars go through that "color-shift" that this cigar's ash did. The construction was top-notch, a beautifully defined triple cap--it drew extremely easily, but did not get too hot until about 1" of the cigar was left. The ash broke off only twice--once after it accumulated 1 1/2", and then the other time after it grew to over 2"--amazing for a mavera with a mere 42 ring!

As the cigar progressed, the cigar began its expected rise in strength, and change in flavors. The pepper remained to the bitter end, becoming ever more stronger as the cigar smoked down, with an earthy flavors, and hints of caramel arising in the smoke as the salty taste subsided. It continued to remain strong, but not so strong that it lifted one too high off one's seat--just an inch or two. This little cigar was a true powerhouse, making the Siglo I seem like a mild cigar in comparison, without taking on strength of mind-altering proportions. I smoked it down till it was a stub of 3/4"-my fingers were getting hot-and I only had to re-light it only once, when only 1 1/2" remained--never had to touch it up. Lovely in all. It left a finish that was unique, relaxed and floral, nothing harsh. Definately worth a try. Best cigar I have ever had. I can only wonder how these cigars were 2 1/2 years ago when they were fresh off the torcedor's table. A strong reccomendation.