What's new

Illusione Maduro - CoM Sep 2016 (Cigar of the Month)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Post your reviews here!

Country of Manufacture: Nicaragua
Wrapper: Mexican San Andres
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua

7.50" x 40 ~hl~ lancero
5.00" x 52 ~88~ robusto
5.625" x 46 ~cg:4~ corona gorda
7.50" x 48 ~888~ churchill
6.00" x 54 ~mj12~ toro gordo

From illusionecigars.com:

In many circles, wrapper from the San Andres Valley in Mexico is considered to be the best leaf for flavor when put through the Maduro fermentation process. The natural properties of this cover leaf produce an earthy-sweet aroma when smoldering and adds a spicy nutty dimension to the Illusione blend, rather than covering up the blend complexity with a dominant Maduro-style flavor. Deep in flavor, deep in your mind.

Strength: Medium/full
Body: Full
Tobacco origin: Nicaragua. Mexico.​

Prior CoM reviews can be found HERE

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I had a Holy Lance back in February, I don't remember anything specific but I sure remember liking that stick quite a bit! It was sent to me so just had the one - definitely worth buying more though from what I remember.

Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Illusione Holy Lance Maduro
IMG_5949.JPG
Nice, dark, toothy maduro wrapper. I was expecting some smell of hay or coffee but it wasn’t there. My bad. Actually, it seems to lack any scent whatsoever. Maybe it’s just me.

Cold draw is faint hay but I may be imagining it. Seems tasteless to me.
Cut and light.
First third. I'm getting some sweet, dried fruit and chocolate flavors. There's definitely some black pepper that lingers on as an aftertaste. Not as strong as I would have expected but delicious. The draw is nice. Not too tight. Enjoying these flavors!
Pepper mellows and dried fruit is gone. Transitioning to a slightly sweet, nutty flavor still with some chocolate and mild pepper. Tasty!
Cedar is coming in on and the chocolate fades. Pepper, cedar, and nutty flavors. Nice mix.
Moving into the second third but I have to comment on the aroma of this cigar. So good. Coffee and cocoa scents coming out in nice amounts.

Second third sees the flavors are shifting nicely again. Nuts, citrus, and some sweet tobacco.
Midway through, I get some cocoa and coffee along with cedar. Nuttiness kind of returns. This thing moves around a bit in the flavors. I like it but it has me thinking I’m making this up. LOL

Final third. Pepper returns. Cedar comes forward and some cocoa lingers. Flavors start to get harsh so I’m tapping out. Really enjoyed this cigar.

Thanks for choosing it this month as it encouraged me to finally smoke it!

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Cigarro: Illusione ~MJ12~ Maduro
Fábrica: Raices Cubanas
Dimensions: 6 x 54
Vitola: Toro

1.JPG

***NOT A THOROUGH REVIEW WHILE STILL PAINTING A PICTURE***

Prelude
The cigar sampled for review was rolled at Raices Cubanas and came in to my possession some time in 2012.

2.JPG

"Before The Flame"
the aroma of the wrapper consists of barnyard, red pepper, chocolate, leather, and an extra roasted coffee bean on the foot. The cigar is uniform marbled dark brown with a few prominent veins, tight seams and a nicely applied triple cap. Wrapper is dry but once lit it burns very waxy on the wrapper. Pretty firm cigar. Cold draw is a kind of salty cocoa and cedar, but its kinda light. The cold draw itself feels firm.

1/3 "The Appetizer"
Initial notes of nuts and chocolate. After a few puffs I get a fruitiness with a sweet spice flavor. The draw is a bit too snug for me but not way too tight. Some sweet earth, cocoa, and spice. Its got a sourdough flavor to it. The earth is faint the chocolate is increasing. Pretty light cigar at this point . The flavors are around medium plus with the body being medium and I can't even say anything about strength at this point. About half an inch in, 25 minutes later the pepper is noticeable but not heavy at all, along with some other nice flavors. A little past an inch and the draw opens a little better and a good bit of chocolate, red pepper, and earth rush across the palate, along with better smoke production. While it was good to this point it had me a little bored. This may just be the intensifying change it needed.

3.JPG

2/3 "Main Entrée"
A cedar woodiness joins in. Its still a really complex smoke that's very nuanced. The nutty flavor is back in action. Chocolate is a little less and there is more of a coffee to it. Body is a medium-full, flavor medium-plus, and strength almost a medium-plus. Another intriguing flavor is tasted, I'm think a different kind of spice but can't pin it exact. Once halfway through the profile is more earthy than chocolate or spice.

4.JPG

3/3 "Dessert"
It continues the earthy notes and most other flavors have dropped off. I still am getting a bit of the spice and coffee. However it became bitter and harsh and it couldn't be saved.

5.JPG

Intensity
Body medium-full, flavor medium-plus, and strength is just out of reach of medium-full.

Construction
There were a few touchups needed along the way but for the most part construction was decent.

Closing Thoughts
A good cigar that was going to score even higher than it did had I not encountered the bitterness.

Smoking Time: 2 hours 33 minutes
Pairing: Zero Water
Scoring: 88/100

Rating - 100%
39   0   0

I forgot to post this from almost a week ago!

I really like illusione - i feel like this marca either flies under the radar, or there is just no love for illusione.

I took the mj12 for a spin. I had to buy it from a b&m, as i only have the naturals in my humi. This particular b&m had this box of mj12s (both natural and maduro) since they opened a year and a half ago. Nobody buys them. Advantage: tadpole

Pre-light - i get a dark chocolate and some sort of fruit… This wrapper is oily! These are individually wrapped in foil. I am not sure if it is simply a cello alternative or if it helps them in the aging process, similar to the tatuaje wet packs / wet wraps (before i get flamed, i agree, this is no tat wet wrap).

Light and front third - dark chocolate jumps out at me. There is also some sweet coffee notes.

Middle third: the chocolate becomes more of a regular milk chocolate and steps down a notch. The fruit that i experienced in the pre-light introduces itself, which i can only describe as dates. The coffee remains as a subtle flavor.

Back third: the coffee and chocolate pick up a bit again. The fruit notes becomes muted. I noticed a leathery flavor...not sure if it was there the whole time or not.

Although i like the natural versions a tad bit better, the maduros are no slouch. I highly recommend almost any of the illusione cigars, especially because they age very well!

Smoke time: 1 hour 40 minutes.