What's new

I'm going to Nicaragua!!!

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I finally booked my flight today!!!

I have a couple friends who do a missions trip in Nicaragua every year and have been inviting me the last couple years. I always seem to be busy and to be honest, I am a home-body. I like just chilling around the house because of how hectic my work schedule is when I am working. Well this year they set everything up way in advance and told me about it. I got to thinking, its about time I do something like this. So I booked it this morning before I had a chance to question whether or not this is out of my comfort zone ahahah

I will give some details and then ask some questions. I am sure there are a few guys on her who have been there for one reason or another.

We are staying in Popoyo for the entire week and doing all of our missions work through http://www.wavesoflove.org. The guys that I am going with are big California surfer guys so this is like heaven to them. Getting to surf and serve! I am not much of a surfer and I'm deathly scared of anything that swims with teeth hahaha so this will be an adventure for me. I promised them I would at least make an attempt to step out of my bubble. We are schedule to do 5 days of missions from about 10am-6pm (which allows them to get the morning and night surf). Our work will mostly consist of being around the kids (surf school, soccer etc.), handing out water filters and doing some work on family shelters that could use a little TLC.
We have one day, Wednesday, totally scheduled to do some touristy stuff. We have a 4x4 rented for the time that we are there, so we have a means of transportation.
My questions are:

Missions stuff:
What kind of things should I bring for the people in the community that I can bring in my suitcase? I have seen guys talk about deflated balls (going to do that), I thought about picking up a bunch of sandals of different sizes… any other ideas would be awesome.
Would guys on here be interested in me couriering stuff down there for them? Don't need to. Just thought I would throw that out there since I know this community and how much you guys like to give. I would be more than willing to bring stuff down if you guys wanted to send something. PM me for my address

Cigar/tourist stuff:
Has anyone been to Popoyo? Anything in particular I should do/see? Any place to grab a few sticks around there or should I bring some?
Has anyone made the trip from Popoyo to Esteli? Online it says its 3 hours, my guess is that it will be a little more.
If I do make the trip, where should I go (cigar wise) and do I have to book in advance? Remember, I will only have 6-8 hours there after travel is calculated in.

Is there anything I am missing that I should be asking? I have my shots and meds all lined up so that is taken care of…
Hoshy I will see if they have any Nica nipples clips down there for you hahah
Any help, info, tips would be greatly appreciated from you guys.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Glad you booked the trip, you should love it. Nicaragua is still a developing country so you will see the nature of the country without a huge build up tourist centers like you would in Cancun, Costa Rica etc. I've been to San Juan del Sur which is south of where you are going and that is probably the most built up beach town...but was still the small town feel. I have friends that have done surf trips to the areas you are going and loved it.

Regarding travel to Esteli, I'm not so sure I would do it. You say 3 hours? Just doing google maps it says 3 hours and 42 minutes. Having been there, no way you make it there in that time. It takes 2-3 hours just from Managua and you are much further south of Managua. You never know what road/traffic conditions will be like. In my opinion, that's too far to try and do a day trip. If you can swing spending a night in Esteli then it might be cool to go. There is a good hotel right in Esteli where a lot of cigar tourists stay. You could probably message Drew Estates or My Father in advance to get a tour, but no factories are really set up for "walk-ins" as far as I know.

Regarding cigars themselves, bring your own, period. Don't go to Nicaragua with grand illusions that you are in cigar mecca and can find them cheap anywhere. Aint gonna happen. Your only hope is going to Esteli and getting a hand out at one of the factories.

What I might suggest instead of trekking to Esteli (if you can't spend the night) is to travel West and go out to Ometepe Island. It would probably be an hour and half drive from you to San Jorge, then you take a small passenger ferry over to the island. It's made up of 2 volcanoes and tobacco is grown there. I spent the night out there and rented a motorcycle and toured the island one day, it was the highlight of my Nica trip. There is a cool coffee plantation on the far end of the island that you can visit as well. Punch makes a cigar (Uppercut) from tobacco grown there and the band shows the island. It is definitely a unique experience.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Thanks Aloha… I was kind of thinking the same thing on the drive. As much as I want to go to Esteli, I just don't know that it would be worth it.
Not that I don't trust you but man does that suck that you would have to bring your own smokes to the cigar mecca of the world.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Anyone else have any input? Thought this place would be crawling with ppl who had visited Nica
Most people here that have gone on trips to Nica through Drew Estates, My Father etc haven't gone to other parts of the country.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Doesn't look like I am going to be making the drive to Esteli. Anyone know what the selection is like at the MGA duty-free. Do they even sell cigars there? One would hope/hunk they would.

Thanks for the help

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
They have smokes but really nothing great except padron and you can get them on CI for same prices when they have sales. Hate to burst that bubble too but there are a ton of tax issues with selling nica sticks on nica...just does not happen. Bring your own smokes...good liquor there though:)

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
The only unique thing about buying cigars in Nicaragua would be to buy fake cuban cigars. Or better yet, fake Nicaraguan Cohiba Cuban cigars. lol