What's new

I'm looking for a cigar shop manager/buyer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey BOTLs ... I'm new to the forum but have been a cigar smoker for about 20 years. A business partner and I are close to buying my favorite cigar shop in the world. But we're looking at our current workload and realizing we need to have a manager/buyer in place if we're going to make this deal work. The shop is BEAUTIFUL... in a very cool town, primo location. It's dreamy. It's in NE Wisconsin. Any pointers on how to find someone to fill the role?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm willing to bet once you get established you'll be able to find candidates. Supplier reps tend to know people in the area looking for new opportunities. You can always poach employees from other shops if you are not overly obvious about doing it. Good Luck, I hope you have the time to be involved from the beginning since no one is going to watch your investment like you will.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm willing to bet once you get established you'll be able to find candidates. Supplier reps tend to know people in the area looking for new opportunities. You can always poach employees from other shops if you are not overly obvious about doing it. Good Luck, I hope you have the time to be involved from the beginning since no one is going to watch your investment like you will.
Yeah, I've been advised to talk to talk to the local reps. I think it's going to be tough to poach someone locally ... not a lot of shops around to poach from. That's one of the upsides of this business... it's well established and doesn't have a ton of competition. But makes poaching a tall order.

My partner and I will be very involved but neither one of us will be able to do what a manager would do. The owner will stick around for 8 months to a year to help us train in the new manager and us. But we want to start with that person Day 1. Ideally.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would be tough to leave Hawaii for Wisconsin, no matter how much I love the Packers. GPG.

Good luck in your search.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
You might try looking through LinkedIn in your local area. You'd be surprised what you can find there. In fact, anyone with store management/rep/leadership experience would be an ideal candidate. They'll have the transferable skills for a cigar shop and I bet quite a few already know at least a little bit about cigars - the rest is teachable.