What's new

I'm too old for this crap…

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Northern Illinois woke up this morning to this b.s.

and I realized, I'm done with this junk. Me and the wife have thought about it for a while and after today I want to get a little more serious about heading south… permanently.

So my question to all you folks is where you would you recommend? I'm fortunate enough that all I need is an internet connection and to be within an hour or so of a major airport (directs to places like Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc would be great) to do my job. Beyond that I want to see as little of the white stuff as humanly possible and I wouldn't mind moving somewhere where my dollar stretches a bit further than it currently does.

Any suggestions? I would love to do some visiting of said suggestions over the next 12-24 months and then truly get the hell out of here.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Northern Illinois woke up this morning to this b.s.

and I realized, I'm done with this junk. Me and the wife have thought about it for a while and after today I want to get a little more serious about heading south… permanently.

So my question to all you folks is where you would you recommend? I'm fortunate enough that all I need is an internet connection and to be within an hour or so of a major airport (directs to places like Chicago, San Francisco, New York etc would be great) to do my job. Beyond that I want to see as little of the white stuff as humanly possible and I wouldn't mind moving somewhere where my dollar stretches a bit further than it currently does.

Any suggestions? I would love to do some visiting of said suggestions over the next 12-24 months and then truly get the hell out of here.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
We have our problems but your dollar will go a long way, there is a unique culture, great food, lots to do, fishing is great and you can't beat the music. If you don't mind hot summers and humidity give St Tammany Parish a look.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
South Alabama.. Mobile, Spanish Fort, Daphne, Fairhope, Foley, Orange Beach, Perdido? it costs a good bit more across the bay, and closer to the beaches.. BTW, Alabama beaches are great!
I'm from South MS, and I would suggest Mobile over Biloxi or Gulfport.. Mobile is (honestly) a dirty little city, but depending on your "style" there's a diff part of town for everyone!
(Mobile's Airport has directs to some major cities.. but I believe they're mainly a regional hub for ATL and Dallas..)

bripper

lowlife
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I hear ya. B&R in Pittsburgh, then Chicago & Iowa for 12 years. Had enough snow for 8 lifetimes. When I see snow on TV, I change the channel.
Have lived on a peninsula one hour SW of Seattle since 1989. When Mrs Ripper and I come home from vacation, most recently to Virgin Islands and Cozumel, we always say "Why did we leave?"
If you can deal with rain and darkness Nov-April, plus nasty traffic, this place is wonderful. We don't have to shovel the rain. We live here:
Gig_Harbor_mtn1.jpg

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I hear ya. B&R in Pittsburgh, then Chicago & Iowa for 12 years. Had enough snow for 8 lifetimes. When I see snow on TV, I change the channel.
Have lived on a peninsula one hour SW of Seattle since 1989. When Mrs Ripper and I come home from vacation, most recently to Virgin Islands and Cozumel, we always say "Why did we leave?"
If you can deal with rain and darkness Nov-April, plus nasty traffic, this place is wonderful. We don't have to shovel the rain. We live here:
View attachment 93219
You have a great view of Mt.Vesuvius too! ; )

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I feel ur pain, after living in Northern MN for 9 years, asshole deep snow,Temps below 0 for weeks at a time , never seeing the ground from Nov-Mar.....That is the reason I moved to the south (SC), Yup have to put up with high Humidity and Temps for a couple month , and the cost of living is cheaper also ......Good luck

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
There are advantages to many of the Southern states besides the weather. Tennessee, Florida and Texas, do not have state income tax.
Cleveland Tennessee was a choice of mine, couldn't convince the wife, though.
Houston, TX is a very busy place, there are areas that are incredible, but TRAFFIC is insane, and many highways are toll roads. There is always something to do in Houston.
Louisiana in general has many advantages, in the top ten places to retire, because of the tax base. Cost of living is reasonable.
All of these places have reasons to not go there. like flooding in Louisiana, has been problematic, and flood insurance has skyrocketed, went from $400 a year to $2000. So if you choose Louisiana buy a house on stilts! I live almost equal distance from New Orleans and Baton Rouge, so there are many things to do near us. The food here is just incredible! My $00.02 worth!

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
View attachment 93219
I do love Texas but I'm getting tired of being able to watch my dog run for 3 days before losing sight. I envy your view. With that being said I highly recommend that anybody wanting to relocate to Texas look at the east side of the state. I35 is a good dividing line. On or east of I35 is where I would suggest.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I do love Texas but I'm getting tired of being able to watch my dog run for 3 days before losing sight. I envy your view. With that being said I highly recommend that anybody wanting to relocate to Texas look at the east side of the state. I35 is a good dividing line. On or east of I35 is where I would suggest.
At least you have SOME topographical changes, trees and water. I live an hour north of Amarillo, on the caprock. No trees, flat as a pool table, and dry as a popcorn fart. Amarillo is also the windiest part of the U.S.
I moved up here from Fort Worth for my work. It's a great place to raise kids, but as soon as I retire, I'm out of here. Texas is a great state, but this part is pretty ugly.
I'd recommend looking around San Antonio. The hill country is beautiful. It is pretty pricey for Texas, but probably in line with Chicago prices. East Texas is pretty as well, and WAY cheaper.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I feel your pain....lived in KC for 8 years because I transferred with my company to start up a new plant operation.....houses were cheap as opposed to Orange County, Ca. where buying a cardboard house was half a million. I bought a big f'n house in KC but the winters with sub zero temps....ice....snow....shoveling that $hit every winter...spinning out on the roads.....summers as brutal as Viet Nam...3 showers a day....nahhhhh....San Diego is much better in the winters and Atlanta is ok in Sept. Oct. and November....April and May. Atlanta in July-August and Sept. can kill you.

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously trying to talk the wife into moving into the mountains and let her home school the remaining kids in school. I love the snow but studying around in it dealing with school systems that are unrealistic and jobs that no matter how deep the snow is or ice gets require you to show up even when he place is closed for business..... in don't with keeping up with he Joneses and very content and assure we could be doing this better differently.