What's new

Important Announcement-Please Read

mthhurley

BoM December 2011
Rating - 100%
208   0   0
Dear Brothers,

It weighs heavy on my heart to share with you some solemn news. Our beloved Founder and friend, Eric, passed away last night while in hospice care at home.
The journey Eric and his wife Maria have endured over the past couple of months has been marked by relentless battles against illness, hospital visits, and the daunting task of preparing for what lies ahead. While I respect their privacy and won't delve into the specifics, I want you to know that Eric was being cared for with the utmost compassion and surrounded by the warmth of his loved ones in his last days and hours.

So who the heck am I and why am I sharing this?

Allow me to introduce myself; I'm Mike, or Mikey as some of you may know me. For those who've been here since the early days, my username might ring a bell. I've had the privilege of sharing memorable moments with Eric and our community—from the original chat room to trips to Nicaragua with E and various gatherings across the country. When Eric called myself and Derek in February to let us know he was sick, he asked me to help him with certain responsibilities concerning this community, and I'm going to do my best fulfill those. I don’t know what that all means just yet, but you have to bear with me as I try to figure it out.

In light of this news, I urge each of us to pause and reflect on the impact Eric has had on our lives. This forum isn't just a virtual space; it's a sanctuary where friendships blossomed, where Brothers and Sisters of the Leaf found kinship, and where countless cherished memories were created. Eric's legacy will endure through the bonds forged and the camaraderie we've shared. I met so many people on here and remain friends with them today that I never, ever would have crossed paths with.

Let's hold Eric, Maria and his family close in our thoughts and prayers during this challenging time.

This picture is of E and Maria when they got married on February 25th, shortly after we got the news he was sick.

E said something to me a few years ago when our other friend Ara passed away. He said to never miss the opportunity to say I love you to your friends as awkward as it may feel for guys to do that sometimes. I'm lucky I had that chance to say it to him on the phone a few weeks ago.

Rest is peace old friend. I love you and will miss you E.

Attachments

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Rest in Peace my brother.

I am saddened by the loss of another brother but I am happy to have known you and for the cigars and beers we shared.

Thank you for building this community which became the source for great friendship and a tight nit group of friends that I am happy to consider family at this point.

You will be missed.

Nica 2017

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Sad news for sure. When I first joined back in the day and was a noob I remember spending countless hours in chat getting to know a great group of botl’s, including Eric. Eventually, I got to meet many of them, some of which I consider some of my best friends. Eric not only gave us a platform to share our love of the leaf, he gave us a true community. He was a quiet guy who always had a great smile. My thoughts are with all of his friends and family during this difficult time.

Here at Casa Montecristo outside Chicago 2012
IMG_1562.jpeg

Derek, Eric, and Skittles 2012
IMG_1526.jpeg

Eric and JD 2012 - can’t remember if this was Aganorsa or AJ Fernandez
IMG_0570.jpeg

Here’s one from Nicaragua in 2012, 2 great brothers gone too soon.
IMG_0536.jpeg

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
This News really took me back, and I'm am hurting with this News ..... I found BOTL a couple years after Dave and Eric Started the Board , It was just the board at that Time , No Chat , Guys would literally be in there ALL night long and as a NOOB at that time I was hooked , What E did was still amazing to me and it still is , His Board was able to bring people from all walks of life together (Just to Talk About Cigars) .....Then we started Bombing cigars in the Mail and then HERFING and then Chat came on board ........ Many BOTL HERF across the county, I have met so many people and have made life long friends ALL because of BOTL, For that I thank You E........ Skipping forward to OE, It all started one night in Nica on our 2nd or 3rd trip to DE , after a presentation from TECHO, About 3:00 am (Having lot of adult Beverages) E and I said we can Help and E said we can Use the Cigar Board to get this off the ground and OE was started in June that year .....

Eric I thank u for that . My God do we have stories about HERFING, NICA, OE CHAT and Bombing, I hope the Folks will look back and see what E really did for this group on the Board .....

To Maria and his family our Hearts and thoughts r with U ALL

E this Board will live on in ur name, Rest in Peace Brother , I know ur smoking a GOOD Cigar looking down , Keep the gates open for us and we will see ya on the Side .....

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I haven't been around in posting regularly for a long time now, but like Brad said above, I owe much of my passion and knowledge of cigars to this great forum and for Eric leading by example. I've had many adventures and made many friends along the way and owe it all to BOTL, and what E started. Our BOTL family has had a few good people go way too young lately and it saddens me. It is also a good reminder to live life to its fullest as you never know what will come tomorrow. My thoughts will be with Eric's family and friends during this time.

He would want us all to smoke a good cigar and raise a glass and remember good times... Cheers