What's new

in pursuit of the perfect paisle

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

I'm looking for a way to consistently cut a flag that goes round round & ends up making a cap. Something shaped about like one paisle out of a paisley pattern. Never have been able to cut delicate shapes with a crude old chaveta., Too clunky. Good News: This Olfa cutter that my friend Rodger sent me is working out damn well.

Olfa 18mm Small Rotary Cutter
https://www.amazon.com/Olfa-18mm-Small-Rotary-Cutter/dp/B000YZ7R2K/ref=sr_1_3

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I don't grok your remark.

The gar head comes in from the right. It's convex because that makes the flag climb up toward the crown of the head as it winds around. The left side flies wide to have something wad up on the head, to make it rounder.

Maybe the key is that you are looking at the under side of this. This is the side I smear glue on.

Prolly all be much clearer had I named it a paislum, Latin-wise, instead of a paisle, measle-wise.

... or else I just need a nap. Up working since 3:30. .

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't grok your remark.

The gar head comes in from the right. It's convex because that makes the flag climb up toward the crown of the head as it winds around. The left side flies wide to have something wad up on the head, to make it rounder.

Maybe the key is that you are looking at the under side of this. This is the side I smear glue on.

Prolly all be much clearer had I named it a paislum, Latin-wise, instead of a paisle, measle-wise.

... or else I just need a nap. Up working since 3:30. .
I generally don't want to speed the cap to the top. That spiral at the end is meant to go around the stick, not off into the air. The concave gives me more time to go around. To the second point, I end up with excess, over-and-above what's needed to push down and round out, with that concave shape on the other side. I end up with shit binding up on the go-around. With a straight cut there I still end up with plenty of stuff to tamp down into a dome if I need/want it.

You can see the concave dip before the spiral head in at least eight of these templates from WLT Don's collection:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Those templates look like wrappers. I was talking about flags. Second piece; after the wrapper & before the cap.

Hey, how ya been, by the way?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Those templates look like wrappers. I was talking about flags. Second piece; after the wrapper & before the cap.

Hey, how ya been, by the way?
Oh, right. My bad. Was hallucinating that your paisley was a full wrapper.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Check out this crazy shit. This is a 3D video, so you drag around it with your mouse. Turn around from the dude talking and check out the wrapper dude in the white shirt (with a few horizontal stripes). Go to 3:15 and watch the weirdness. He's wrapping robustos or toros, and yet he's cutting and applying the second cap that is typically used on torpedo double triple caps! Having looked at many hundreds of rolling vids I've never seen this before. I can fully understand it; I've just never seen it.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to attempt a triple cap. I am applying a pigtail because its easy to understand and finishes a parejo well. When first starting out attempting a triple cap, is it better to try getting the paisle out of the end of the wrapper or pull out a separate wrapper leaf?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have yet to attempt a triple cap. I am applying a pigtail because its easy to understand and finishes a parejo well. When first starting out attempting a triple cap, is it better to try getting the paisle out of the end of the wrapper or pull out a separate wrapper leaf?
Cut it out of one of the two remaining segments you'll have after the wrap. Usually the segment closest to the tip is the widest, top-to-bottom, which is better for getting a big round circle at the head of the second cap, i.e. the "flag." OTOH the second-to-last segment will usually color-match the cylinder better.