What's new

Incorrect Info???

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
The below is quoted from the website of one of the overseas sponsor retailers on the site. I couldn't believe what I read. Should we email them to let them know about the incorrect information? I'm not one to let someone else know how to run their own business, but it's distracting to know an obviously respectable vendor giving out false information to cigar aficionados:

"Although humidity levels are almost always referred in terms of Relative Humidity, the actual value that is important is the amount of water vapor present in a given volume of air, known as Absolute Humidity. As air will hold varying amounts of water vapor at different temperatures, no discussion
of humidification would be complete without a discussion of temperature and it's effect on absolute humidity. Relative humidity is an easily measured value that relates the measured humidity to the maximum humidity that is possible at that temperature. Thus, 70% RH at 70 ºF is not the same as 70% RH at 80 ºF.

We are aiming to maintain the same amount of water (mgm/liter) around our cigars as seen at 70% RH at 70 degrees F (which is 13.15 mmHg water vapor pressure).

So, to be able to know what is happening with our cigars at temperatures other than 70 degrees F, we must use a table of adjusted relative humidity values to make sure that our humidors keep our cigars in the peak of condition.

Temperature, water vapor pressure and relative humidity required to equal 70% RH at 70 degrees (13.15mmHg).

Temp
Water Vapor Pressure
Relative Humidity

80.33%

77.58%

74.93%

72.37%

70.00%

67.61%

65.39%

63.19%

61.13%

59.10%

57.17%

It is not possible to attain an absolute humidity level that will keep cigars from drying out at temperatures below 60 degrees F. This observation will put to rest the fallacy that the refrigerator is a good place to store cigars. Not only do we have to worry about our premium cigars beginning to acquire the flavors from left over foods but the cigars will dry out and become essentially unsmokable. The freezer is an even worse place to store cigars. The humidity becomes virtually zero, and the loss of moisture from cigars will accelerate to produce a bone-dry smoke."

The below is quoted from Steve Saka at Cigar Nexus...and as far as I know this is true:

"Totally DISREGARD any table or advice explaining that the ideal humidity for storing your cigars changes depending on the temperature. This is a myth that sadly has been published in some otherwise respectable publications. It is based on the principles of absolute moisture content and not relative humidity. 70% relative humidity is 70% relative humidity regardless of the temperature hence the term "relative."

I don't mean to be nit picky or anything. Like I said, I'm just looking out for others. It's strange to find out a major vendor of fine cigars would be so incorrect about storage. I guess I should just let it be??? What do you guys think?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would say something, if I'd come across that and read it, I would've thought it was true and probably freaked out about not having my cigars at the right humidity

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Well I decided to write them. I left a "web message" under the contact us section. I noted that they come highly recommended and I do plan to order from them in the near future. I did, however, point to their error in a hope that they post correct information. This is not only for our benefit, but theirs. It looks better for a dealer of fine cigars to be giving out correct and current info. I think the argument of absolute moisture content is an old one indeed. I've seen it 80 degrees outside with 40% RH, and I've seen it 60 degrees with 80% RH. I'm sorry to rant, I was just completely shocked to see that. That marks the first time I've ever seen any vendor say that. I honestly don't mean to knock them, just looking out for newbies who don't know any better.

Edit: I also wanted to point this out because I plan to order from them. I want to make sure they're not over humidifying or under humidifying their stock. If they stock their cigars at 68 degrees, and believe what they say, then according to their table that's a wet cigar indeed. I'm just lookin out.