What's new

Infusing My Own Cigars

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a bundle of yard burners (Nestor Plesencia 2004) from CI - 24 sticks for $19.99. Actually, they are not that bad given the price

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has or if it even possible to infuse cigars at home?

I love JAVA cigars but cannot always afford them - so I was thinking of infusing these stogies myself. I tend to like that chococately/coffee infusion and wanted to try to replicate that flavor profile.

I was goning to try it out with several ciagrs and see how they turned out before doing a larger number.

Any help would be appreciated

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have seen it done with booze before... well i had a buddy of mine do it... tends to work out alright, but you def. need to make sure that you do it in a separate humidor/container than the rest of the cigars are in.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I don't know how well it would actually work. When you get a cigar like the JAVA, i think the tobacco leaves were already cured in the flavors and then let to dry out. Otherwise you gotta do something crazy like dip a cigar and then lightly toast it or something.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
If you took fresh coffe beans and put the cigars sealed in a baggie with the beans for a month or so I would think they would absorb the coffe flavors. Would be a fun experiment.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
If you took fresh coffe beans and put the cigars sealed in a baggie with the beans for a month or so I would think they would absorb the coffe flavors. Would be a fun experiment.

I am on it...I have some smokes that would be perfect for this. I will do both whole beans and freshly ground coffee. I figure to really get them going I could cover them in it. then just dust em off after a month or so. I'll let you know how the coffe ones turn out.:smokingbo

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I am on it...I have some smokes that would be perfect for this. I will do both whole beans and freshly ground coffee. I figure to really get them going I could cover them in it. then just dust em off after a month or so. I'll let you know how the coffe ones turn out.:smokingbo
Way to step up to the plate Dave. What sticks are you going to use?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Well I just got some Famous Nic 1000 and 3000, Thanks to you. I figure a few of those should work out fine. I also have some Yardgar no name brand that I got in CI's El Cheapo Package a year ago. Those a much lighter wrapper than the Nic x000 series. I am going to use an Esspresso, french vanilla and hazlenut coffees to see if those flavors transfer over. I do really like licking up the natural coffees in cigars, So we'll see, I'll get some pics up once I get everything set up and labled. The kids are all over me right now, so I'll be doing that for a while seeya.

I'll most likely send em out to some of you if they turn out OK.

Fidel

Deceased Dictator
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I tried this with some cheap assed pequenos a while back. I deliberately let them get a bit dry, put em in a ziplock, covered `em up with ground coffee and tossed in a 70&#37; humipak. Left `em for about 6 weeks. Not nearly as good as a properly infused cigar, but a real improvement over the original smokes.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
Well good luck with it Dave. Keep us in the loop on the progress and what you are using and how you are going about it.

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I tried this with Kaluha for momma and it didn't work at at. I even left them in for 2 months. I believe the leaves are infused before being rolled.
How did you do it with Kaluha? Dip em and let 'em dry? Or seal them up in an open container of Kaluha?

Seems like it would work with coffee beans. But who knows?

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Be careful with the coffee beans. The oils and moisture will over-humidify your sticks and they'll be moldy if you don't keep a close eye on them. My boss put some cigars in a tupperware full of coffee beans for a week or so and they were moldy as heck when we took them out!

TYLER

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I bought a couple of punch seconds for my son once and before I noticed the guy at the reister dippep them in cognac. I baggied them up and set tem aside in an old humi. He smoked them about two months later and said they were awesome. I was worried they would mold but I gues the alcohol prevented that.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Be careful with the coffee beans. The oils and moisture will over-humidify your sticks and they'll be moldy if you don't keep a close eye on them. My boss put some cigars in a tupperware full of coffee beans for a week or so and they were moldy as heck when we took them out!

TYLER

thanks tyler, I'll start small just in case. I think I'll use a small baggie of beads to help prevent to much humidity. Do you guys agree the beads should be tossed out after this?

Good ideas about drying the smokes out first, so they are in a absorbent state when the coffee is around.

There is a shop around here that has 3 different glasses of liquor at the counter when they cut your smoke they ask if you want it dipped. They cater to a nightclub crowd.

I'll have to get my coffe at the office tomorrow and set it up.. I'll keep you uodated, might even try the cognac, or rum thing too.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I heard once that dipping cigars in cognac started back when humidification wasn't focused on so people would dip there cigars in liquid to moisten them up and ended up enjoying the flavors the cognac left. Never tried it myself, but maybe next time I've get some cheap-o's I'll give it a shot. I am curious how the coffee infusion works out because my father works for a coffee company so I get free coffee of all flavors! So Dpricenator if you need any extra coffee just shoot me a PM.