What's new

Invention idea: Hairbrained or genius.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad and I are always coming up with (usually) ridiculous invention ideas. Shark tank is our favorite show. The Asian Kid is our favorite character on Goonies. We were avid members of various inventors websites, www.quirky.com being one. Nerdy dreamers no doubt.

One of these days, we keep telling ourselves, we are going to hit on something big esp. now that I'm retired and can devote time (and some small amounts of money) to our next big idea.

Here's my latest one. Hairbrained? or are we on to something.

The problem: Surely you've noticed how a cigar gets tarry and charred the closer to the nub you get. All that smoke we draw in gathers and clings to the next cross section of cigar as we smoke - getting nastier, harsher and hotter as we work our way down. Cut open a cigar's last inch or two and take a whiff. Disgusting, right?

What if there was a way to have every draw come from FRESH, uncharred tobacco? What if you could truly nub a cigar down to the last 1/4" and not waste any more than that?

My idea is to fashion a cigar hookah of sorts where a stogie is inserted into a hole that has a silicone sphincter (Yes I said sphincter - a necessity so different sizes all fit in the flexible opening) that holds the gar with a impervious yet gentle seal. The majority of this cigar is INSIDE of a tank, or globe, blown glass perhaps with the foot INSIDE. The freshly cut tip of the cigar is poking just a little bit out of the globe or tank, exposed to fresh air. There's an access port (or maybe there's no bottom, like an inverted fish bowl with a silicone ring around it to make a seal with the table it rests on - and you lift the bowl up for access) that allows you to now light the cigar. Maybe fancier models have an electric coil style lighter inside. Maybe you light the cigar then slide it through the hole into the tank. There's enough oxygen/ ventilation in the tank where the cigar can breathe and stay ignited, but this vent is easily closed off when the user is ready to take a draw. Perhaps with a ball check valve or thumb over a hole or maybe a foot switch for more elaborate models. Close the vent then take a puff (or this is automated by a check valve) from the hookah hose. Perhaps this smoke is drawn through a water bong to filter and cool it like a hookah. Perhaps that would mute the smoke too much. Maybe just a disposable paper filter instead. Maybe no filter at all.

The goal would be to have cool, fresh cigar smoke every draw as the stogie is essentially smoked BACKWARDS.

Other details: Maybe at the end of the hose is a fake cigar handke, made of leather so it still feels like a cigar in your hand and mouth. We'd look rediculous but hey, it tastes better with less waste, in theory.

Maybe smaller models can be made that can be held in one hand like small glass (or other food grade, clear material) football.

Thoughts?

If this is a good idea I guess someone will steal it and I'll get to have one of my very own someday. If it's not, I gave you a good laugh at my expense. Win/win!

Heres a quick sketch
http://imgur.com/gallery/FXAAe

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have such difficulty smoking cigars, why not just smoke a pipe? A tin of pipe tobacco cost 1/10 of a single mid-grade cigar and are much more portable than a hookah.
I do. Similar problem there too interestingly enough. Last third of the bowl is nasty for similar reasons. The bottom third acts as a garbage collector of the first two thirds and gets thrown out.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The changes in a cigar as the stick warms and flavors develop is what I like most about cigars. Most of us address your issue by puffing out occasionally basically blowing the icky stuff out of the foot

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I do. Similar problem there too interestingly enough. Last third of the bowl is nasty for similar reasons. The bottom third acts as a garbage collector of the first two thirds and gets thrown out.
Then you're going something wrong. Do a search on here, there are a few good threads that explain how to cut, light, and smoke cigars and pack, light and smoke pipes without I'll effect.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The changes in a cigar as the stick warms and flavors develop is what I like most about cigars. Most of us address your issue by puffing out occasionally basically blowing the icky stuff out of the foot
I like transitions too but I think that owes more to the way a cigar is made and if they put different leaf in different thirds. Again, sniffing a dead cigar nub even when still warm is just nasty. I find it hard to believe that char being sucked in with fresh tobacco is a desirable. I do blow out of my cigars as I make my way down just as you said and it does help. It's part of what gave me the idea. It confirms that nastiness IS collecting in there. I also smoke as slow as I can without the cigar going out. Still really interested to know how they taste and perform being smoked "backwards".

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you're going something wrong. Do a search on here, there are a few good threads that explain how to cut, light, and smoke cigars and pack, light and smoke pipes without I'll effect.
I appreciate the comment and I know I'm a noob here on this forum but I've been smoking pipe and cigar over 10 years now. I'm just pursuing an even better experience as I've hit the ceiling on what can be done with current methods and equipment and willing to think outside the box. Not to say this cigar hookah is even feasible or would improve things. It's just conversation and musing at this point. I may fashion a primitive prototype in my garage for entertainment purposes though. Stay tuned!

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to the change in taste of a good cigar as its being smoked and all the flavors melding together into the last third of a cigar. I do smoke some cigars that begin and end the same but when I want a truly great smoking experience I'm willing to pony up the money for a complex cigar that isn't one sided. Ymmv. Good luck either way.

MrZ

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd settle for a little tar on a cigar here and there over that contraption! Quite an imagination you have though!
I can definitely see that. We would look rediculous, as I said. Do you not ever hookah?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look forward to the change in taste of a good cigar as its being smoked and all the flavors melding together into the last third of a cigar. I do smoke some cigars that begin and end the same but when I want a truly great smoking experience I'm willing to pony up the money for a complex cigar that isn't one sided. Ymmv. Good luck either way.

MrZ
My cigar & pipe budget is around $1500 to $2000 a year. Not sure if that's considered high but I do buy the good stuff but am always in pursuit of an even better experience, hence my crazy ideas.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you think I'm saying your idea is crazy you should read some of the cr*p I've caught on the forum for my musings

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cigar & pipe budget is around $1500 to $2000 a year. Not sure if that's considered high but I do buy the good stuff but am always in pursuit of an even better experience, hence my crazy ideas.
Was not implying your budget was anything. Speaking solely of myself and experience.
Cheers

MrZ