What's new

Iowa will finally get silencers

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Since about 1986, all NFA items have been illegal according to state law in Iowa.

We are slowly getting our rights back. For the last last three years, the Iowa senate democrats have blocked consideration of the legalization of silencers. It's an election year, so they reconsidered this time. The Iowa house has supported this effort overwhelmingly each year. Looks like we'll have this finally taken care of this year.

SBR's and machine guns will still be illegal. Baby steps, I guess.

At approximately 9:30 Thursday morning the Iowa Senate passed House File 2279 by a vote of 46 to 4. HF2279, the Hearing Protection Act, removes suppressors from Iowa’s list of so-called “offensive weapons.” If signed into law this would legalize the civilian ownership of firearm suppressors in the State of Iowa. For years the Iowa Senate has a literal dead-end for most every gun bill introduced in the Iowa legislature.
http://iowafc.org/blog/2016/03/17/iowa-senate-passes-hearing-protection-act-46-4/

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Silencers are legal across most of the US. Our law is shall sign and good for hunting. Irony is our current governor is the one that signed the NFA ban in the first place.
asa_edu_map_021216.jpg

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
@Prine I'm sure you're fully aware, but there's a "Hearing Protection Act" already written up with a good number of co-sponsors, and with the upcoming change in administration there's a very real possibility it may get some traction. Anyone willing to reach out to your elected representatives, do so, and encourage them to not only allow this but to actively support it.
I think we might realistically see some trimming of NFA and nationwide carry reciprocity next year. Here's hoping! (y)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
LOL, They should be a requirement! Cant stand it when I'm at the range and someone sits down next to me with one of those uncivilized firearms that require the use of hearing protection.
They all require hearing protection... Just because it doesn't hurt, doesn't mean it's not damaging your hearing. My 10.3" SBR will piss people off next to me with hearing protection, but just because I added a suppressor to it, doesn't mean it's hearing safe.

Pics because well... Congrats to Iowa. Now go pick out something fun from www.silencershop.com to celibrate :cigar:
Noveske_CQBR by Shift_Six, on Flickr