What's new

Is it possible for Bovedas to be over charged?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first tupador I made was with the large Lock&Lock container. I purchased 2 65 boveda packs and loaded it up for about 50 sticks. I had done a salt test with my accurite hygrometer which gave me a reading of 77 at 75 so +2. But in the tupador it would read 70+ so I removed the boveda packs and still with just the cigars I was getting high readings since im guessing all the cigars became over humidified by having 2 packs in it. I recently picked up a second Lock&Lock container and hygrometer which after a salt test reads 73 at 75 so -2. I then decided to use the new empty lock and lock container to do a test and put one boveda pack in with both hygrometers and got a reading of 71 on the one thats +2 and 67 on the one that -2. So my 65 packs seems to be giving me a 70% humidity or these hygrometers are just terrible. Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My accurite hygrometers didn't work a crap with the salt test for some reason and they took 3 or 4 days to recover from shipping. Once they settled down they are fine. When you did just the boveda and hygrometer test how long did you give them to stabilize?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The salt test is highly inaccurate, you are better off testing using a fresh from the pack boveda in my opinion. They even make a "testing kit" that comes with a resealable bag (ziploc style) and a small 75% rh boveda, but you can just use any pack and a resealable bag that is airtight.

To answer your question, yes bovedas can be overcharged and then seemingly try to maintain a higher rh than they were designed for, I rehydrate mine beyond how "full" they are from the pack (using a food scale, a fresh 60g weighs around 64g and I rehydrate to about 70g) and they end up stabilizing slightly higher than the advertised rh.

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
could your cigars have been over moist to start?
you need to keep your sticks below 70 degrees and 70% or risk beetles and mold.
why put Bovedas in a sealed environment with over moist cigars?
can you test your hydrometers against some that are accurate,such as at a B&M?

these are a few ideas to consider...........

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

Well, bovedas "should" bring it down if it's over..

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My accurite hygrometers didn't work a crap with the salt test for some reason and they took 3 or 4 days to recover from shipping. Once they settled down they are fine. When you did just the boveda and hygrometer test how long did you give them to stabilize?
I had them in there at least 8 hours.

The salt test is highly inaccurate, you are better off testing using a fresh from the pack boveda in my opinion. They even make a "testing kit" that comes with a resealable bag (ziploc style) and a small 75% rh boveda, but you can just use any pack and a resealable bag that is airtight.

To answer your question, yes bovedas can be overcharged and then seemingly try to maintain a higher rh than they were designed for, I rehydrate mine beyond how "full" they are from the pack (using a food scale, a fresh 60g weighs around 64g and I rehydrate to about 70g) and they end up stabilizing slightly higher than the advertised rh.
The salt test being inaccurate was something I thought of but all these sites say its the most accurate way but i can see so many variables, like the salt and water ratio, bag size, temperature that could cause different readings.The Boveda packs I have are not "fresh" but went straight from the package to the tupadore and are still very goopy feeling, not even close to getting hard.

If you put the hygrometer in a zip lock with just the boveda for a while, what does it read?
I haven't tried but I can only assume it would be about the same as the tupador reading, right? I mean the lock&lock is airtight.

I cant imagine any cigars I bought were over charged, I purchase 5-30 cigars at a time from different sites when i can find good deals so every cigar I have has sat in a box and gone through the mail and then immediately put in the tupadore. I put the bovedas in there so keep the sticks fresh and or to rehydrate them after being shipped. I can however take the boveda out and seal the container and the readings will stay the same but taking the pack in and out would be a pain since I keep them on the bottom under the tray. I just figured using a boveda in a tupadore would be a nice and easy way to maintain my cigars without fuss.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
The salt test being inaccurate was something I thought of - it is, lots of variables.

I haven't tried but I can only assume it would be about the same as the tupador reading, right? I mean the lock&lock is airtight. -
No, lots of space + cigars. Put the boveda in a bag with hygrometer and see what it reads after an hour. That'll tell you how far off it is.

. I just figured using a boveda in a tupadore would be a nice and easy way to maintain - it is. @Joe333x

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Our friends at Famous said in one of their podcasts they ship cigars a bit moist because of shipping. Not sure if all online retailers do it but it is not unreasonable to expect since people would complain if they got dry cigars verses their cigars being a bit damp. I know that most B&Ms down here sell wet cigars, but I've found one shop that doesn't and that's where I buy cigars when I want to smoke in their shop.

I just calibrated my hygrometers with the salt test then again using a 62% boveda. Some of my hygrometers never got to the 75% you would expect with the salt test but did fine when checked against the 62% Bovedas.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The salt test being inaccurate was something I thought of - it is, lots of variables.

I haven't tried but I can only assume it would be about the same as the tupador reading, right? I mean the lock&lock is airtight. -
No, lots of space + cigars. Put the boveda in a bag with hygrometer and see what it reads after an hour. That'll tell you how far off it is.

. I just figured using a boveda in a tupadore would be a nice and easy way to maintain - it is. @Joe333x
Thanks! I have both hygrometers now in a ziploc with a boveda, now is it possible that a never recharged 65 boveda could give off more than 65? My original thought when I put 2 65 packs in one tupadore was that if they are both 65 then they wont over humidify and will just make them last longer but my concern is that having both packs in a full container maybe allowed them to become too charge from like Boudie said sticks that were maybe a bit moist from the shipper. If thats the case should i leave the packs out for a bit or something?
Our friends at Famous said in one of their podcasts they ship cigars a bit moist because of shipping. Not sure if all online retailers do it but it is not unreasonable to expect since people would complain if they got dry cigars verses their cigars being a bit damp. I know that most B&Ms down here sell wet cigars, but I've found one shop that doesn't and that's where I buy cigars when I want to smoke in their shop.

I just calibrated my hygrometers with the salt test then again using a 62% boveda. Some of my hygrometers never got to the 75% you would expect with the salt test but did fine when checked against the 62% Bovedas.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If you are in a dry environment just leave the humidor open for a while and let them air out. I live in the swamp so I keep 62s handy for dry boxing.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0

And with CI you can get wet, dead on, and dry as a bone, all in the same order!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Thanks! I have both hygrometers now in a ziploc with a boveda, now is it possible that a never recharged 65 boveda could give off more than 65? My original thought when I put 2 65 packs in one tupadore was that if they are both 65 then they wont over humidify and will just make them last longer but my concern is that having both packs in a full container maybe allowed them to become too charge from like Boudie said sticks that were maybe a bit moist from the shipper. If thats the case should i leave the packs out for a bit or something?
Don't worry too much. Humidity changes are usually pretty slow so you will find yourself going too far one way or the other when you try to change something. Just trust the boveda and be patient is my advice…as long as you're within +/- 5% anyway.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are in a dry environment just leave the humidor open for a while and let them air out. I live in the swamp so I keep 62s handy for dry boxing.
Yea Im in the same boat right now, Im in Boston and its been wicked humid here lately. Once winter comes and the I turn my forced hot air on though hopefully it will help keep the room humidity down allowing some humidity to escape.
And with CI you can get wet, dead on, and dry as a bone, all in the same order!
Ive noticed that with CI and their sister site pipesandcigars, pipesandcigars was much better when they were on their own. Lately I've been getting some good deals at Thompsoncigar and have had good luck with them. One thing I cant find a decent deal on anywhere is some 601 la bombas! I had one and love it but not for full price lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the result of having both hygrometers in a ziplock bag for over an hour. I just want to thank all you guys for all your responses, this is a pretty awesome community, I need to visit more often, especially now that I'm getting more and more into this great hobby.

Attachments

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
This was the result of having both hygrometers in a ziplock bag for over an hour. I just want to thank all you guys for all your responses, this is a pretty awesome community, I need to visit more often, especially now that I'm getting more and more into this great hobby.
If they hold at that for a while, then you'll know for sure how far off they are. Indeed, this group of guys is overwhelmingly knowledgeable and helpful.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized that the reading from the bag was the same as from the empty lock&lock so atleast I know they are accurate in that sense. Unfortunately I dont have a fresh Boveda to try so next time I do I'll check again.