What's new

is it possible to have too many boveda packs?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to supect it is possible.

I have a De Nobili toscano I am keeping in a zip-lock bag with a mini Boveda 62%. I added a second one to the bag about a week ago because I wanted to keep it fresh and no longer needed it where it was. Today I open the zip-lock and the toscano cigar is trying to unravel on the head end. So, I took some xanthan gum and I tried to repair it by making a glue: I have gluten sensitivity and cook with this stuff all the time. The repair worked so far, but I have to wonder why this happened in the first place. Years ago I humidified toscano cigars all the time. I am suspecting maybe there were too many Boveda packs in with the cigar and it stressed the wrapper- for some reason these cigars seem especially fragile compared to what I remember (maybe it was a bad crop).

I ordered a bottle of El Ligador as well, I figure it will be convenient to have around, moreso than using up my xanthan gum.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
From the Boveda FAQ:
"We recommend using at least one 60 gram Boveda per 25 cigars your humidor holds, even if it isn’t full. It’s still air space and wood that needs proper humidification. And because Boveda will never over-humidify beyond the number on the pack, using more than is recommended will just work more efficiently and need to be replaced less often. So with Boveda, you can never buy more than you need."

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Running a dozen in each of my large humidors and no complaints. Holds rock solid. Got a pound of HF beads in each as well, and probably 2-3x a year I oversaturate the beads. Recharges the Bovedas and good to go.

In my travel humidors, I put two large Bovedas in the 40ct and 2-3 small Bovedas in the 10 and 15ct. Never any problems

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my travel humidors, I put two large Bovedas in the 40ct and 2-3 small Bovedas in the 10 and 15ct. Never any problems
Are your travel humidors Tupperware/plastic? I've been using 2-3 small Bovedas to humidify 20-25 cigars in Rubbermaid containers. They seem OK but I'm wondering how it works long term.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I just jumped the gun trying to get the cigar up to 62%, perhaps it was a lot drier than I expected. I have never had to restore a cigar like that before, but the cigars arrived crispy (it must be a dry winter up north). The few that I have smoked, smoke OK (no flavor loss though these were never lightweight to start out). Italian cigars are supposed to be rock hard, but not really crispy dry.

Most of my cigars are small petit corona or corona size. I've figured using one mini pack for every 12-14 cigars should be OK. I've had maybe one or two cigars that were drier than normal and they sucked the life out of a Boveda.