What's new

Is my washing machine screwed?

Washing Machine

• Buy a new washer ya cheap bastard!

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Call a repair man...it may be cheaper!

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
10 year old GE.

Wife wakes me up and tells me there is smoke in the unfinished part of our basement. I go down and immediately smell the burnt rubber smell. Takes me about 30 minutes of poking around to discover that the drum is frozen on the washer. When it was in the spin cycle, even though the motor was trying to spin the drum, it wasn't turning. I empty the washer and remove the plastic stem on the inside to make sure nothing is caught under it. Pop off back panel and belt is still on.

So...my question is this. Due to the drum being frozen and whatever type of problem that was caused by the motor trying to turn a frozen drum, am I better off just going and buying a new washer since this one is 10 years old? I just can envision a repair man costing more than the thing is worth. What do ya think?

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I try to give you some solid advice (my brother in law owns a home appliance repair business) and you delete it?! WTF?! :boxing: :laugh:

Hey Dave. Since you said the belt isn't broken, then it is most likely that the drum may be jammed by an piece of clothing, the main motor may be faulty or there may be a broken wire to the motor.

Figure just to come out runs around $75 & a washer motor runs about $100 - IF it needs to be replace. If it was working well before, then I would probably have it repaired.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Take off the belt and see if the motor turns. If it does than something is jamming the drum and you won't have to pay a thing. Just look for the source of the jam.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
I can not turn the agitator by hand like I have been able to in the past. I removed it and see no obstruction. I have no clue on where else to check that would keep it from turning.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Washing machines work pretty hard!

I would say it might be that the motor is burned out due to the smoke. If it is a new washer might be in line as the repairs can get $.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Most regularly used home appliances have about a 10 year lifespan. You can probably get more, but you will start sinking money into something that will be less efficient and will need frequent repairs.

My advice ... see if you can get a free repair estimate. If the cost to fix is over $150, then get a new energy efficient / water saving model. Most state utility companies have good rebate programs that will offset some of the cost.

CoventryCat86

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I fix up old washing machines and resell them. They're very easy to work on. I don't like those GE machines. I pretty much only deal with Whirlpool/Kenmore machines. It seems that 90% of the people around here have Whirlpool/Kenmore washing machines. Whirlpool makes washers and dryers for Sears who then labels them as "Kenmore." They may look different on the outside but the internal parts are identical. Sears even uses Whirlpool part numbers.

The machines were the same design from around 1960 up until 1986. At this point, they completely redesigned them to a "direct drive."

The older ones (pre 1986) are prone to leaking, the tubs rot out but it's easy to fix. They would also need new belts every now and then which is a pain in the ass to change BUT not out of the reach of the homeowner with a basic set of tools. The instructions are on the bag the belt comes in.

The direct drive machines have plastic tubs so they will never spring leaks from rust holes. Pretty much the only thing that ever goes wrong with these is the contacts on the start switch for the motor get burned and the repair guy will say "needs new motor" but if you take the switch apart and file the switch contacts, it's as good as new and won't cost you a dime.

Sorry this information isn't much good for your situation with your GE machine but if you do decide to buy a new machine, go with a Whirlpool or a Kenmore.

CoventryCat86

Banned
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tedski said:
Most regularly used home appliances have about a 10 year lifespan. You can probably get more, but you will start sinking money into something that will be less efficient and will need frequent repairs.

My advice ... see if you can get a free repair estimate. If the cost to fix is over $150, then get a new energy efficient / water saving model. Most state utility companies have good rebate programs that will offset some of the cost.
LOL!! My washing machine is 32 years old and works fine. Washing machines are very simple appliances and not that much goes wrong with them.