What's new

"Is That All??"

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So last night I go into my local B&M with the intent to buy a Fuente Between The Lines stick (which I did, $20 out the door, ACK!). I spend 5 minutes, maybe a little more, looking at the sticks in two of the walk-in humidors, this is pretty much standard practice for me, hey, I like to look around, see what they have, what's new, what the prices are (specifically any fluctuations, etc.).

So I decide on the one stick and go to the counter, it's a new guy, he's younger than all the other guys that work there (by about HALF), never have dealt with him.

He asks "Is that all?"

Well, that didn't sit too well with me (the tone, mainly, and it's a rude question, hey, I'm in sales, that's a big no-no), especially when I'm GROSSLY overpaying for what I'm purchasing, and I do like to make a point that people should treat customers with just a "tad" more respect. Maybe ask "Will there be anything else we can help you with?" or similar, yes, subtle, but much better for the customer.

I respond back with "That almost sounded like you are offended?"

He says "Well, you spent alot of time looking"

I'm thinking about unloading on the guy but I decide to take the high road and just go with "well, my humidor is full and I only want one stick"

I gotta tell ya, definitely low marks. I'm not a big fan of this shop, but hey, it's there, it's close, I don't smoke there (members' lounge in the back), prices are way higher than other area shops (which are more distant, such is life, but that is the main reason for my dislike, priced to high). Oh well, just a little more customer service oriented attitude would go a long way. The other two guys that I deal with there are cool though. Thanks for reading, yes I feel better now. LOL

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
I would think it's not as much about the actual question but the tone it's asked in (as you said). Why you felt the need to explain yourself to him or argue about it I'm not sure - a simple 'yep, that's it thanks' would have probably been a better choice :dunno:

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I would think it's not as much about the actual question but the tone it's asked in (as you said). Why you felt the need to explain yourself to him or argue about it I'm not sure - a simple 'yep, that's it thanks' would have probably been a better choice :dunno:

Agreed here.

My B&M doesn't care how long I meander through the walkin they have. I've got a few of the guys including the GM that I'll usually strike up a conversation with. Even if I spend 45 minutes in there and only buy a single stick, they don't care. They're really good about getting stuff that I'm looking for and they don't happen to have in stock. Good people there.

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Working at a B&M myself, I will jokingly, in a playful tone, ask my REGULARS that type of stuff, goofing around with them. But that is just it, as a joke. Never would I ask someone I don't know, who may or may not be new to the store, that type of question. It's seriously rude.

Psojka RP,601

This place IS my vacation
Rating - 94.7%
19   1   0
dang. Yeah, i work at a shop. And i NEVER say 'is that all?' like you said, if i dont know the guy buying, i ask "Did you find everything okay?" that leaves the room for them to say "Well, ya know...i was looking for Cain...do you have any?" or "yes i did, thank you." i will never ask the "is that all" question. and Brian, id love to see you tell the guy: "Do you know who the hell I am?" LOL

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I agree with those who say that when asking "is that all?" the tone used is a big part of it. If he asked it rudely or with annoyance (after watching you look around for awhile) then the little bastard deserves to have his face slammed onto the desk like the Joker does in Batman (minus the pencil through the eye).

But ask yourself this, if he said "is that all?" with a smile and a tone that suggests he cares, and lets say you're picking up a stick to celebrate banging Jessica Alba...would you still be upset? I think a lot of times your current mood + the tone of others can = something being blown out of proportion. Does that make sense?

raspol

No problem.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That has happened to me before when visiting a new B&M. I did spend a lot of time browsing because it was my first time in that store. I was also asked "is that all?" After a few moments of being taken aback, I responded "you're right, not enough for me to buy." And then walked out. Never shopped there again.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I definitely think it's time for me to go to another shop on a somewhat regular basis, there is one that I really like (and the folks are quite friendly/welcoming too, prices are much better, etc.) but it's the opposite way (ie - not on the way home from work, etc.).

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
That's terrible customer service, for sure.

Even if you were buying a single stick at $4, that would be unacceptable.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
If you go there all the time and have a good rapport with the owner or the other employees I might mention it to him. As others have said what does it matter how long you take, hell I take forever at the video store and come away with 1 movie. Kids a douche. I'm passive aggressive just for that I'd go in everyday take 2x as long and get nothing.

Ed Monton

Sir Winston
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I've been asked that but not in a B&M. But ya, I had the same reaction. Very rude. The guy has a lot to learn about customer service.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
I hate, hate, hate bad customer service. Probably because that's a lot of what I do and I have exacting standards. You should always leave an in for the customer. "Will that be all for you today?" is a better way to phrase the question. "Did you find everything okay?", as Paul pointed out, would be better still. What if you had been looking for something, but was unable to find it? I doubt he'd have won over any customers with his attitude. And why didn't he come see if you needed any help if you were taking such a long time?? Some people like to browse (I know I do), but you could have been looking for something or having a hard time deciding.

Dan

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
My first B&M experience was here in NYC and it was a great one. A store called "OK Cigar".

I entered their walk-in humidor, and the guy noticed I was taking a while, not really sure what I wanted. This was back when I was literally JUST stepping foot into the world of cigars and had no idea what was available.

I asked him for a couple of recommendations, and I ended up leaving the store with 3 singles he recommended, all of which were incredible:

La Aroma de Cuba E.E. robusto
Illusione HL
EPC Short Run

I also bought a 100-ct. humidor while I was there. My girlfriend was with me and was loving looking at all the different empty cigar boxes (she's very crafty and likes to make things with them) and the guy told her to pick any two there and she could have them on the house.

Great customer service. I would recommend OK Cigar to anyone visiting the NYC area.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
As a thumbs-up for the guy at the counter, he did poke his head in the humi and ask if I needed help. I'll probably make a mention of the guy next time I'm in there, which will probably be awhile...the wife has been carrying a 20% off coupon for the other store that I like...so...well, you know, er, uh, I think I should go! :)

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
He's lucky you did not give him, "Do you know who the hell I am!"
After stating that you need to grab your walking stick and hit him on the head with it. Hopefully the Wild Turkey doesn't shoot out though.
That dude needed to know what a customer is for...to buy stuff, be satisfied and then return for more some other time. What a moron.