What's new

Is there really a full-flavor Cuban with real spice?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Everyone’s palates are certainly different. But, even CC sticks that I’ve been told are strong and peppery - just aren’t. I’ve found most to be light or very mild mannered. I admit, from a burn and construction standpoint they wyd all be terrific - even the cheap ones. But, I’m more interested in what comes with a fuller flavor package and some true spice.

I know - what have I smoked? I can’t remember them all... but, the ones I’ve liked to date:

monte # 2
Monte # 4

not because of their strength and spice - but, those hit a sweet spot on well, sweet and creamy. More mild - but, hey.

I suppose I’m on a quest to find a “real” Cuban with the flavor and spice I read about - yet have never found. no, I’m not all about pepper all the time, but I do enjoy a more medium-full flavor/strength stick. Does Cuba really have it?

Guessing I might open silly debates like pistol caliber...but, what the hey.

BasicTek

I don't smoke cigars often... HaHa just kidding :)
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Yeah, I'd say what your going to want is Nicaraguan or Honduran tobacco. But I hear Bolivar are stronger? Not sure.
I heard that too, bought a box and nope they are actually smoother than most. Partagas are one of my strongest cubans and really next to a strong Nicaraguan there's no contest. I thought I liked cubans because they were "stronger" than NC's but it's actually the flavor and smoothness (allowing me to deeply retrohale) that I like.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I heard that too, bought a box and nope they are actually smoother than most. Partagas are one of my strongest cubans and really next to a strong Nicaraguan there's no contest. I thought I liked cubans because they were "stronger" than NC's but it's actually the flavor and smoothness (allowing me to deeply retrohale) that I like.
Yeah. For me, I think the way cuban cigars are blended has a lot to do with it. I've a feeling if the cubans went and stuffed tons of Ligero into everything, the cigars would taste more like NC"s lol.

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
SCdLH has some good spice to them. Bolivar Gold Medals!!! Heck the Bolivar line. I wouldn’t call Monte’s a spicy cigar at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I’m going to go ahead and agree with the previous statements here. Asking for the fullest, spiciest Cuban is a lot like asking for the hoppy-est stout. You’re really looking in the wrong area for that.
Having said that, I get a decent amount of spice from Partagas usually. I’m told that RyJ Cazadores are pretty full-bodied (no personal experience). From the couple RASS I’ve had, Ramon Allones had a certain NC feel to them, which might explain why I’ve only had a couple and don’t currently own any.
But if spice and fullness is what you’re really looking for, which is fine, NCs are what should be in your wheelhouse.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RyJ cazadores, BRC, partagas no. 1 Maduro (lip pepper spice bomb), SC everything, especially Spanish edition, there are several. Nothing in what I would guess you're looking for (ecu sungrown wrapper, lots of nic ligero, etc) but they exist. I'll take variety, but I do like me some spice bombs but I'm not usually reaching for Cuban tobacco if I want pepper spice.

Punch royal coronations are another. Pepper spice dominates imo and like others have said, that's not quite the point.

I smoke full bodied cigars 95% of the time and I'm smoking an RyJ short xhurchill right now. Full bodied AF, but certainly not a spice bomb. Had an oliva v earlier... There's your spice bomb. :)

(Edit for spelling.)

Ymmv.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, this confirms my feelings. They really don’t exist. So, I wonder why people insist that they do.

I do enjoy the creamy sticks occasionally - primarily in the morning. But, I’m just feeling like CC’s just aren’t my thing. Will I enjoy one now and again - sure, but will certainly stay focused on the Nics. I do enjoy aamooth stick, but the flavors have to be there or it’s a waste for my palate...and wallet!

I have a taste for the spicy - and enjoy hot peppers of all varieties. But, I don’t go for the heat in most cases - just the flavor with the tingle. To date: the absolute favorite pepper I’ve enjoyed is the Scotch Bonnet which is more readily available in the Caribbean. Good stuff.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback, I enjoyed the comments and variety. Always appreciate the good natured positions of the forum.

Peace -

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
IMHO, Cuban cigars (except for Bolivar and some Partagas) don't have that in the face punch of spice. Having said that, there are many Cuban brands that are very complex, with lots of flavors running through them...More subtle than some of the more powerful flavors found in Nicaraguans.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Good nics are WAY more expensive than a decent duty free cuban. A JL2 is 6.88$
A monte 4 is 6.04$.

I cant find much under 10$ that is worth a dam in the us. VSG, Padron anniversorio don Carlos, opus, anejo.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
B
Good nics are WAY more expensive than a decent duty free cuban. A JL2 is 6.88$
A monte 4 is 6.04$.

I cant find much under 10$ that is worth a dam in the us. VSG, Padron anniversorio don Carlos, opus, anejo.
In stores yes, online sales and auctions, different story - charter oak 3-5 , tat black 6-8, cabaiguan 6 ish, sooo many others. But other than vsg, I don’t even like those you listed, sooooo.... ;)

Last edited: