What's new

Is this worth the money?

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I'm sick of all the crappy coffee in my life, and want to upgrade.
Locally, a place offers this: http://www.dogwoodcoffee.com/collections/brewing/products/travelling-barista-br-aeropress-brew-kit

I was thinking doing that and picking up the metal filter later on.

Is that grinder worth owning? Or should I just create my own little kit with better equipment?

Thanks guys!

ETA:
Or perhaps this, and add the grinder? http://www.dogwoodcoffee.com/collections/brewing/products/the-classic-home-brewing-with-chemex

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Hario grinders do a great job.. Of course being a hand grinder, they do require a bit of work from you, and the grind size is a bit hard to "perfect" - but once you have it dialled in they are great and should last you quite a while. My friend has one and he likes it, I went for the Kyocera CM45-CF myself as that's what my local was selling. I would say that as a bundle that price is quite good too, Aeropress can be had for $29 odd on Amazon, grinder for about $40 but you get coffee too!

If you are set on an Aeropress, the biggest upgrade (improvement) to it would be changing out paper filters for either a stainless steel filter (Coava / Able Disk) or a mesh filter (Kaffeologie) - they have improved my brews substantially - less waste too.. also take a look into the "inverted method" of brewing.

I'm actually enjoying a Kenya Kiandu at the moment that I brewed earlier, gets even better as it cools down!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes and no, there are some similarities.. The Aeropress is hard to put under one single category of coffee brewing. It uses both total immersion (of grounds, like a french press) and also pressure (to extract, like a machine) - it definitely is a unique way, and (in my opinion) provides a great result in the cup.

Alan Adler, it's creator, claims it creates an espresso - but it really doesn't produce enough pressure to generate a "true" espresso.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
either an aero or a pour over method make OUTSTANDING cups, at the cost of a little time. really can't go wrong with either, except the whole "it doesn't make gallons at a time" thing. what?!? man's got needs! o)

and FWIW the wooden collar on that chemex makes it SO much safer to handle. i still use a flexible teflon oven mitt, just to be sure, but it's little stuff like that you don't think of until after you've used it a few times.

happy brewing, bro!

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thank you Alex!!! I am going with kit number one on payday (my gf has shattered 3 french presses) so the areo has been in my future... both seem awesome and sound like they will defiantly be an upgrade for you...What are you using at the moment, not that i am a coffee expert just curious? Once again no expert at all....but it seems if you aren't drinking a ton the areo kit might be good route and it has a the grinder in the kit. idk about you but i can't afford a 100 dollar burr (i believe at the the cheap end) best of luck ,Nate

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
Thank you Alex!!! I am going with kit number one on payday (my gf has shattered 3 french presses) so the areo has been in my future... both seem awesome and sound like they will defiantly be an upgrade for you...What are you using at the moment, not that i am a coffee expert just curious? Once again no expert at all....but it seems if you aren't drinking a ton the areo kit might be good route and it has a the grinder in the kit. idk about you but i can't afford a 100 dollar burr (i believe at the the cheap end) best of luck ,Nate
Currently have a Keurig in my office, and some 6 cup crappy drip maker at my GF's house... so it's not like I could really downgrade at all lol.

I'm still debating between the two. I like how the Aero sounds. But, the pour over might be more realistic since (I think) it makes more at a time, and I usually have to make some for both the lady and myself.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I haven't tried the aero press yet I'm mostly a Cemex brewer. Has any one had a chance to do a comparison ? I'm cupping so many different roasts right now might be something to try.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I have done a side by side comparison one time with the same coffee. The aeropress was alot more concentrated and had more(excuse my coffee lame terms) umph and tasted um darker. The chemex was more balanced. Both were great and I am sure there could be some varibles I could mess with. I know coffee nerds, please tear me up now for my newbie ramble

I haven't tried the aero press yet I'm mostly a Cemex brewer. Has any one had a chance to do a comparison ? I'm cupping so many different roasts right now might be something to try.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have done a side by side comparison one time with the same coffee. The aeropress was alot more concentrated and had more(excuse my coffee lame terms) umph and tasted um darker. The chemex was more balanced. Both were great and I am sure there could be some varibles I could mess with. I know coffee nerds, please tear me up now for my newbie ramble

Thanks for the head to head thoughts. I know a lot of the coffee geeks will chime in with there thoughts but I find coffee is a lot like cigars every one has there own tastes.

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
How drastic is the difference in experience in the flavor of the coffee, with using a french press over the standard coffee pot?

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I am a fan of my aeropress, but my go to is the the pour over method--I use the hario v-60 no. 2 (similar to the cem-ex). Not sure why I consistently prefer it over the aero (smoother cup, though I make it very strong) I too have the metal disc filter.
Also because you often prepare cups for two, depending on the strength that you prefer the Aero-press might require two separate brews. Even for one, it's barely enough for me--they claim you can add plain water to cut down the "esspesso" into normal coffee also increasing the volume, but...I like it strong.
Just my 2cents. Have fun, cause either way will be a big improvement.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Get what you want, I suppose.

I love the French press I got from Walmart for about $12 for a great cup of coffee.

If you can get the components cheaper by purchasing them separately, go for it.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You won't be disappointed with the Aeropress. If you get it, make sure you try different water temps and grinds. I was very surprised to find that I much prefer the water to be 176f over hotter, by a wide margin. Draw back to the Aeropress is the single cup action. You can make up to 4 at a time but it isn't convenient. I accept this fact and make my honey a press with steamed milk, rinse it, and then make my cup after. No big deal because the coffee is absolutely fantastic. I can't wait to get an insta-hot faucet installed and dial in the temp for the Aeropress. Doing so will make brewing with it a breeze.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
The Hario grinders do a great job.. Of course being a hand grinder, they do require a bit of work from you, and the grind size is a bit hard to "perfect" - but once you have it dialled in they are great and should last you quite a while. My friend has one and he likes it, I went for the Kyocera CM45-CF myself as that's what my local was selling. I would say that as a bundle that price is quite good too, Aeropress can be had for $29 odd on Amazon, grinder for about $40 but you get coffee too!

If you are set on an Aeropress, the biggest upgrade (improvement) to it would be changing out paper filters for either a stainless steel filter (Coava / Able Disk) or a mesh filter (Kaffeologie) - they have improved my brews substantially - less waste too.. also take a look into the "inverted method" of brewing.

I'm actually enjoying a Kenya Kiandu at the moment that I brewed earlier, gets even better as it cools down!
Yes and no, there are some similarities.. The Aeropress is hard to put under one single category of coffee brewing. It uses both total immersion (of grounds, like a french press) and also pressure (to extract, like a machine) - it definitely is a unique way, and (in my opinion) provides a great result in the cup.

Alan Adler, it's creator, claims it creates an espresso - but it really doesn't produce enough pressure to generate a "true" espresso.

Teej pretty much nailed it on all fronts. Nothing more really needs to be said. :)

38-50

rg
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm a long time proponent of the french press and other paperless methods, but the best cups of coffee I've ever had come out of an Ilsa Turbo Express. I've only tried my litlle one/two serving unit so I can't speak to the bigger ones. Mine's capable of producing a couple of shots of fairly strong espresso or a nice light cup of coffee depending on the quantity and grind. It definitely extracts more flavor than a press or a pour over and I think it is smoother and less tannic as well.