What's new

I've been regularly enjoying cigars...

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Greetings....

I've been regularly enjoying cigars (3-6 sticks a week) for about 1.5 years now....
My issue is all brands of maduro cigars are beginning to taste the exact same!

i.e. A maduro 3000 padron tastes identicale to a maduro Gurkha and to a hoyo de monterey(they all taste milky and chocolaty).... :lookaroun

This never was the case before, each maduro cigar had its own distinct flavor...

Any ideas on this, is this regular?
-I stopped smoking for 1 week, thinking my taste buds/mouth needed a break, but that didn't help.
-I've also tried drinking different things while smoking; like beer, congac, scotch, water, etc. and that didn't help either.

Thanks in advance for any help.... :help:

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
not sure man...don;t smoke a lot of maddies (although i'm trying to get mor into them)

oh...and :welcome:

why don;t you slide over to the welcome thread and tell us a little more about yourself? :thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Very valid points, one I understand. Hard to tell some brands apart no doubt. I try not to figure that out, but rather buy what I like the best. I wish I could help more.

:welcome: Glad you signed up. Be sure to take some time to read the sticky post on tops of most sections for great information. There is a official introduction thread if you want to check in there.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
:welcome:

Definitely go introduce yourself!

As for why they taste the same... <shrug> maybe you really have just shot your taste-buds recently? Maybe the allergy season is affecting your nose/taste? I dunno, could be lotsa things, really.

3-6 cigars a week shouldn't really be too many to blow out your taste-buds, but I've experienced it a couple times before, and I don't smoke any more that that either. I've found that I just stop smoking cigars for a week or two and everything will fall back into place.

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
... Hard to tell some brands apart no doubt. I try not to figure that out, but rather buy what I like the best. I wish I could help more....
Well like i said, this never was the case before, each maduro cigar had its own distinct flavor.

Thats why it sucks so bad, i.e. when i want a padron, THATS what i want, not the same taste the CAO maduro was the night before....

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
yeah, welcome to botl. maybe you could try staying away from maduros for a while and enjoy more naturals, sun growns, cameroons, etc. and toss the odd maduro in there every once in a while. have you tried smoking some new maduros you haven't tried before? obviously something's happened to your palette, i don't know what else to tell ya.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
yeah, welcome to botl. maybe you could try staying away from maduros for a while and enjoy more naturals, sun growns, cameroons, etc. and toss the odd maduro in there every once in a while. have you tried smoking some new maduros you haven't tried before? obviously something's happened to your palette, i don't know what else to tell ya.
Good advice. Welcome to BOTL. Be sure and post an intro in our introduction thread.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I smoke at least 3 sticks per day, and I'd estimate 75% of them are maduro. I can definitely tell most of them in my regular rotation blindfolded. Last summer when the humidity and temperature were at their highest I went for three weeks during which every maduro had a sort of blandness to it. Could have been allergy related or weather related, but it went away and I've been back to normal ever since. Well... As normal as a Squid can be anyway.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Very good advise. And welcome to BOTL.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
There are a bunch of different things that can affect the overall flavor profile of Maddies.. them tasting alike is not uncommon but it is something that we dont necessarily like..

Giving your taste buds a break is something that is good and often times needed and something that many people over look..

Allergies plays a big part in this as well, even a little congestion can cause you to not be able to distinguish flavors the right way

Humidity plays a big role as well.. If the sticks are a little dry then that flavor is going to come out. The dryness might not be a bad flavor depending on the degree of humidification but it can take key flavors out and this will run true for all of the sticks giving them like flavors

Speed of smoking is another one, if you smoke real fast then I find that many of the flavors mix and you really cannot taste them compared to smoking slowly and exhaling through the nose and enjoying the sticks slowly..

Most of these are in my experiences, but take it for what it is worth.

And Welcome..

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
Thanks for all the greetings!

....Allergies plays a big part in this as well, even a little congestion can cause you to not be able to distinguish flavors the right way....
I've never really had "allergies" that affected me but, this theory listed by a few above seems to make th most sense.
It seems as soon as this issue began, I also have had some excess mucus, thats not normal for me....

Hopefully as the seasons change this phase passes....I cant stand my padron 1964s tasting like the $2 cheapy hand-out sticks I have....lol

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
lots of good advice here. and like Jkim said. try different maddies. my favorite is the ashton aged maduro and closely followed by the Onyx Reserve's. try some different brands for a while then go back to your go-to's.... but imho ive never had a bad maduro.