What's new

Jerky

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I do but I use a dehydrater, and I've only used venison. Comes out great. I plan on getting a smoker in the future though

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

luckysaturn13

Smoke it if ya got it!
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I used to make a lot of venison and beef jerkey when I jad more time. Your right on the high mountain seasonings. They are over the top amazing! I picked up a sampler pack at Cabell as with 5 different kinds to try. I tried making snack stick but they came out dry and bland. I also used a jerkey shooter to make a mix of beef and v enision into strips. They came out rough too. The best luck I've had so far was just slicing strips then rolling in seasoning amd tossing in the dehydrator. I did recently pick up a big chief electric smoke box I'm looking forward to trying out

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
High Mountain here as well, pepper blend was the best. Tried all sorts of methods, making my own rubbs etc.. and prefer oven over smoker, never tried the dehydrator. Mostly did venison, have not made any in the last few years

Almi

Jim
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I always went easy on the hickory when drying out the jerky so it would not get to strong of a hickory flavor in my smoker. Also spread out the charcoal on the bottom so it was only about 1 coal deep to keep the heat down so it would dry not cook.

HIM*

Closer To The Sun
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I make a real nice teriyaki jerky from a homemade marinade I put together. My favorite though is my mojo pork jerky. I'm the only one I know that makes it and it's killer. Store bought stuff sucks.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I make 2-3lbs a week... mostly wild pig and elk lately...

Pretty much everything that goes into the "grind" pile from game I take during the year gets made into jerky..

This last week I made elk using Dr. Rubs mesquite bbq rub for seasoning.. turned out awesome..

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Does anyoneone have any tips for a jerky newbie? I bought some stackable jerky screens the other day at academy sports. I'd like to do a batch of beef jerky soon and hopefully venison jerky pending the outcome of upcoming hunts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Does anyoneone have any tips for a jerky newbie? I bought some stackable jerky screens the other day at academy sports. I'd like to do a batch of beef jerky soon and hopefully venison jerky pending the outcome of upcoming hunts.

Start with a premade seasoning kit with the cure included like Hi Mountain. They are the best way to start and then you can start making your own mixes/marinades. I make my own now, but started with Hi Mountain. Make sure to cut off all the fat and silver skin. That's the part that goes rancid. Use the leanest cuts of meat possible. You are using venison and it is very lean so you will only have to do a little trimming. Cut the meat 1/8-1/4 inch thick depending on what you want. Put the meat in the freezer for about 45 minutes to firm it up, makes it a lot easier to cut uniform sizes. Cut with the grain for a chewier jerky and against the grain for a easier to bite jerky. I personally like a chewier jerky.

What are you going to use to cook/dehydrate the meat?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Like @Lomey said try Hi Mountain. I would go so far as to start with ground. That’s honestly all I do is ground venison. They have jerky guns that have round and flat nozzles. I had been using cooling racks on top of cookie sheets. My parents got me a dehydrator a couple years ago but haven’t used yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I was planning on using the oven with jerky racks but have access to a dehydrator too.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I was planning on using the oven with jerky racks but have access to a dehydrator too.

I use a smoker, but an oven is fine. I have used an oven once or twice early on. With an oven, set it on the lowest possible temperature and then prop the door open very slightly to let the moisture escape. You want the jerky to dehydrate so the less moisture the better. The handle of a wooden spoon works well for this. Cook until it's the color and texture you want. Usually 4-6 hours. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I use a smoker, but an oven is fine. I have used an oven once or twice early on. With an oven, set it on the lowest possible temperature and then prop the door open very slightly to let the moisture escape. You want the jerky to dehydrate so the less moisture the better. The handle of a wooden spoon works well for this. Cook until it's the color and texture you want. Usually 4-6 hours. Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips!