What's new

Johnny-O cigars, when to smoke?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Hey fellas,

I'm a newb to the Johnny-O cigars but was wondering what you guys think of them and more importantly, do you smoke them fresh or let them age? John told me his recommendation which I will share later, but I was wondering what experiences you guys have had?

Also, do you know if they are puro cc's or a blend? And what would you compare the flavor profile to?

Thanks much! :peace:

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
They are farm rolled cc's and pretty damn good ones at that. I would either smoke em immediately or wait at least a year or both. That's what I've experienced and what numerous brothers that smoke alot of John's cigars have told me.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
I have had fresh rolled and one that had 6 months on it. The fresh was delicious...but the torp that I aged was amazing! I say try to age as long as you can to try out. I know 6 months is not a long time to age...but I just could not take the suspense;) Good pick up!

hdroadglide

BoM x 2, BoY 2011
Rating - 100%
514   0   0
my reasoning for rollers in school is because he has a tremendous number of sizes, but farm rolled is just as reasonable. but that was just a guess. he told me one time that one of his best rollers rolled a certain size, etc. i don't ask a lot of questions.
i have had some draw problems with the larger sizes recently. typical cuban i guess. flavors vary. i've had some that were some of the best i've ever smoked. some just average. they are NOT what i would call a "refined" smoke, and certainly don't look that way. but with all that being said, i nearly always have a few on hand and they could very easily be an everyday smoke for me. as far as aging. i've never had any longer than about six months, and that's just because they were so fresh and wet they had burn issues and i forgot about them! i'm curious as to what john thinks.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm pretty sure they are farm rolled and that he only has about 4 rollers. This is the info I've gotten at least. I agree that they are very fresh upon receipt and definitely benefit by at least dry boxing because they are super wet typically.

Damn fine smokes though.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I prefer them with some age on them. I've had them fresh & they were good. But with a decent amount of age on them they can blow your mind.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I prefer them with some age on them. I've had them fresh & they were good. But with a decent amount of age on them they can blow your mind.
Joe, if you don't mind explaining, what is a decent amount of age for that particular cigar?

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all the feedback!

So I take back my original statement in saying John gave me his recommendation... I should've said he told me what people prefer. I am waiting his response for his actual preference, but here is what he told me regarding when it's best to smoke his cigars:

"How long you rest them depends on your personal tastes. Most BOTL's say they prefer my cigars within the 1st month or 6-9+ months on them. but like I said that depends on your tastes."

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Okay, just got John's response...

"I don't keep them around long enough to age, within the first few days are the ones I smoke. Otherwise I would give them a year."

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Since I have not seen nor smoked these, what exactly is farm rolled?
Basically, it's a cigar that's freshed rolled right there on the farm, where the tobacco is grown and picked versus in a cigar factory.