What's new

Joya de Nicaragua Decadas 50th Anniversary Diadema (6 x 54)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When this cigar was announced the summer of 2018, Dr. Alejandro Cuence, Owner and Chairman of Joya de Nicaragua stated, “Cinco Decadas is a Nicaraguan cigar of unparalleled elegance. This cigar is intended to celebrate a special moment in our company’s history and offer an opportunity to pause, reflect, give thanks – and look to the future. It is our most memorable milestone yet and the most memorable of celebrations always require that you rise to the occasion. That’s what Cinco Decadas represents. We want consumers to know that in Cinco Decadas, they will find a cigar so premium that the fact that there’s one in the humidor, will be enough to celebrate.”

I was interested to find out if Dr. Cuence was sincere in his setting such a high standard to meet or if he was using hyperbole written by the marketing types. We shall see.

I purchased the Decadas Diadema from a local B&M for about $20 a stick. I let it rest in my humidor for about a month before lighting up. It is currently available in two vitolas, the Diadema and El General. Production of the Decadas is limited to 5,000 boxes for 2018, with 3,000 boxes earmarked for the American market.

Observation: Dark wrapper on the toothy, smooth seams. The Diadema is a Perfecto shape.

Cut: Used a straight scissor cut. As with most shaped cigars, it is difficult to know where to make the cut for the best draw. Always, cut shorter on the first cut and take off more to get the draw of preference.

Cold Draw: There was a sweetness to the cold draw along with vanilla and a pleasant spice I’m calling nutmeg. The aroma of the foot was very much like the cold draw.

Lighting: I used a flat flame lighter. I was in bright sunlight when I lit the cigar. As a result, I couldn’t see the flame, so I got an uneven burn at the beginning, but it was my fault. About a half inch in, the burn evened out.

First Draw: Very smooth and satisfying smoke. it was very balanced and did not taste like burning tobacco. The cigar was very smooth with sweetness, vanilla and nutmeg of the cold draw remained. The finish was smooth.

First Third: The same flavor profile continued. The retro-hale was delightful, very smooth, the vanilla notes were enhanced. As the first third continued I have not noticed a nicotine hit. As it progressed, a light cedar note became evident. I tried a retro-hale when I noticed the cedar. Again, it was very smooth, and no pepper sensation was noticed. There was a good amount of smoke produced.

Second Third: The cedar notes are joined by an increased sweetness. The flavor is intensifying but remains balanced and smooth. The finish is extending now in the second third. There is no harshness to the smoke at all.

Last Third: The flavor profile has intensified. Now I’m picking up notes of baked cookies. There is a slight note baking chocolate, cinnamon and sweetness. I’m thinking this is strange. A lot of cigars start to become harsh at this point. The blend of the Decadas Diadema is managing harshness well. The finish has extended longer in this phase.

Wrap-up: Usually new cigars are hyped so much they can never live up to the marketing spin. I think Dr. Cuence was sincere in his evaluation of the Decadas line. It may not be 100% accurate but, as far as marketing spin goes, my experience is he was close and more accurate than most. The Diadema is smooth and balanced from beginning to end. This is a Medium to Fully bodied cigar.

I have already placed a pre-order for a box of Decadas 50th Anniversary Diadema.

FC4B7811-086A-4A91-8785-A9CEA884BC94.jpeg AB6BB3E2-368D-443E-A3E7-7B8C23270BDA.jpeg 94A9CC70-9B58-4DBF-8C30-5980E6FCB33B.jpeg D320499D-C98E-4F1F-A71D-9AD7A2C36C28.jpeg

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up, definitely gonna try this
If you try one and like it, I pre-ordered a box of 10 from Famous, using the 17% BOTL discount, for $132.79 plus shipping. So about $140. I have not seen anyone cheaper. However, I am still waiting for delivery.

I’m interested to see how they change over time.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Good review. I want some of these. Hopefully famous keeps them on sale until I can free up the funds.